• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone think D-44 axles will hold up to a mini-spool?

wrecker1

Thats my next line of thought, Just wondering how many axles I need to buy as spares.

BTW, its for the rear of my CJ-5 with 35's, runing hard in the mud and some street driving.

:wtf: The axles will be reasonably OK, but why the mini-spool? Just weld an open carrier and be done.

My CJ5 had a welded diff for years (until I could afford a Detroit) and never snapped an axle with 33 swampers and a V8.

weld3.jpg

Looks like thats the plan...
I know the gears need pre-heated, can I use a bottled propane torch or does it have to be Oxy-acetylene to get it hot enough?

Clean parts really good before starting.

Go to Albertsons and get one of them disposable turkey aluminum pans, and heat the entire carrier assembly in the oven at 450 until it's warmed thru. Remove and weld.

Try not to heat one spot too much and warp were the ring gears ride.

Make sure that the Mom in the household is OUT before you start, because baking 90w smells baaaadddd! But not to worry, it'll air out quickly.

Last edited:
Make sure that the Mom in the household is OUT before you start, because baking 90w smells baaaadddd! But not to worry, it'll air out quickly.

AAWW, heck, it can't smell any worse than her Cooking! :haha:
But she gets sick just walking out to the garage when I am working on axles or trannies and have grease on me....can't stand the smell.

I've heard to use a hi nickle rod. Is that right? Will 7018 work? I don't have access to a mig or tig, so the stick welder will have to do.