• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

are these tires to big

popcancherokee

I just put on some 38x12.50/15 TSL's on my jeep wrangler yj.im locked up front powertrax and mini spool in rear.i was woundering if i went to big and if it going to brake my axles.if they are to big what would be a good size intell im able to upgrade to one ton axles.im in Arizona so rocks if i take it easy will i be ok.
2013-02-09_13-06-57_354.jpg

Last edited:
If you still have the D30 front and D35 rear, then I'd be worried. Dry rocks have a lot of traction, and tall tires increase the leverage on the axle shaft. If I was you, I'd find a spare rear axle shaft, and bring it with me for a spare. ALL of the shafts are weak. So are both ring and pinions. So are lunchbox lockers. However, the rear alxe breaking can cause the tire to 'walk' out from under the YJ due to the C-clip design. That can be a PITA. By carrying a spare shaft, you can at least have tires under the jeep.

And as a side note, the phrase; "are these tires too big?" is one of the wheelin' questions that never has a valid answer. It's like asking; "are these boobs too big?". Some guys like 'em small, some guys like 'em big, some guys like 'em ginormous. Pesonally, I like 'em all.

Last edited:
Sorry the axles are rear 8.8 out of a newer explorer with yukon alloy shafts and front is a dana 30 with yukon chromolly shafts and yukon super joints.if that makes a difference.and i have factory 410 gears.

Sorry the axles are rear 8.8 out of a newer explorer with yukon alloy shafts and front is a dana 30 with yukon chromolly shafts and yukon super joints.if that makes a difference.

Yes. Yes that does make a difference.

I'd wheel it. Just be gentle. You'll break stuff, occassionally, but it will get you home.

And as a side note, the phrase; "are these tires too big?" is one of the wheelin' questions that never has a valid answer. It's like asking; "are these boobs too big?". Some guys like 'em small, some guys like 'em big, some guys like 'em ginormous. Pesonally, I like 'em all.

:awesomework: :awesomework: :D:D :D

you're going to spit u-joint caps so maybe think about welding them in?
also you should weld the axle tubes into the center and/or maybe an axle truss back there.

Hey the rest of these guys are assholes! You'll be fine, air em down and hammer down! :corn:

I was breaking chromolly shafts with 33"s.would it cost effective if i went to a dana 44 up front or just go to a dana 60 but then i would have to go bigger rims with a 60 so then i would need different tires for rim size.and if i did a 44 witch one is better wagoneer ford dodge and could i get one with 5 on 4.5 or would just need spacers to change pattern.and isn't a upgraded dana 30 just as strong as a stock 44.any kind of input is really appreciated even if its from assholes.thanks

Pretty sure you just answered your own question of "are these 38's too big?" with this statement...:awesomework:

It was a lot beer front wheel drive only and a lot of rpms..but it did brake and they did warranty them.so i guess for now brake and return for warranty.

I was breaking chromolly shafts with 33"s.would it cost effective if i went to a dana 44 up front or just go to a dana 60 but then i would have to go bigger rims with a 60 so then i would need different tires for rim size.and if i did a 44 witch one is better wagoneer ford dodge and could i get one with 5 on 4.5 or would just need spacers to change pattern.and isn't a upgraded dana 30 just as strong as a stock 44.any kind of input is really appreciated even if its from assholes.thanks

If you want to run tires in that size range and not be worried about your front axle all the time, skip polishing small axles and wasting money and go with a 60. you will be money ahead in the long run.:awesomework: Thats what everyone said and like everyone else I wish I would have listened:looser:

Last edited:
44s and 30s have the same ujoint axles pretty much. If your killing 30 shafts, then you will kill 44 shafts.

D60s will accept 15 inch rims.

Nothing wrong with a 8lug 15 inch rim up front and a 5 lug 15 inch rim out back.

Sorry the axles are rear 8.8 out of a newer explorer with yukon alloy shafts and front is a dana 30 with yukon chromolly shafts and yukon super joints.if that makes a difference.and i have factory 410 gears.
If you're running 38's, you should have a ring & pinon of at least 4.56.
I know a guy who runs D30's front & rear (OX w/5.38's) & runs 38's all day long.
If you're planning on rock crawling, you better step up to a D60.
I've been running a D44 with 38's for years, & haven't had that many problems. I've known D44's to run 44's, & occasionaly break.
If I were you, I'd get lower gears, chromoly shafts, & yukon joints up front.
Short of that, you could be wasting money.
A stock 30 on standard shaft, with too tall gears for large tires= carnage

, I'd get lower gears, chromoly shafts, & yukon joints up front.
yes i really need lower gears and i already have chromolly yukon shafts and yuokon duoer joints.

And another question for you all what would be the best dana 60 to go with and do any come stick with lower gears.and what is the easiest hi steer i need for being soa.thanks

Last edited: