• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Aussie locker question

RZRS

I am looking at getting a Aussie locker for the rear of my LJ, I have never really tore an axle down that far before. My question is are the shims on a dana 44 between the carrier and the bearings or between the bearings and the carrier? I've searched all over the internet and there isn't much on setting the gears up after the install. Every write up and video I can find just shows bolting the carrier back in and your done. Is it really that smile or do the ring and pinion need to be set up again after the install?

That's what I thought. Im slowly building my jeep causeas it is my dd as we'll for now, and I don't have a very big budget to put towards it is why im leaning towards the Aussie instead of an arb. I've had rigs before but I've never tore a diff down like that but I'm wanting to do all the work to this jeep my self to learn and save on costs.

aussie or lunch box lockers only replace the spider gears in the carrier, just slide the axles out and put it in as directed.. you can do it in the jeep and never worry about r+p setup.

I put a Spartan locker in a Toyota front diff, was pretty easy. I Saw no way around pulling the carrier out though, maybe I'm dumb but couldn't see how to get the center pin out.

Depends on the gear ratio weather the carrier has to be removed from the axle. If the cross pin will come out with the ring gear on then everything can be done without further disassembly.