• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Auto tranny questions

64FJ40

I only halfway understand automatic transmissions, and I'm ok with that. I will likely be embarking on rebuilding my dad's 4L60E (2wd Astro Van) pretty soon, but I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

It's lost 2nd gear. I haven't driven it, but it apparently will drive fine in 1st, and if you rap it out enough and shift to "D" while letting off the throttle, it jumps to 3rd (and eventually OD) and all is well as long as you don't convince it to downshift. In what should be 2nd, there is no power transmission at all.

Is this just bad/dead/whatever clutches? I guess what I'm really asking is if this could be something that isn't going to be addressed by a rebuild. Prices for "master kits" seem to vary from $100 up to $700 - is there anything I need to specifically look for? I will be replacing the VB separator plate as well but I don't know if I should bother with a shift kit or not.

Anybody have a ATRA book(s) I can borrow? I know they're not that expensive, but I only plan on doing this once.

Thanks,
Eric