• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

automatic trans problem?????

mudslayer

My buddy has a Bronco 2 that has a 302 and some other goodies. Took it out for a trial run and found that on any incline or decline the shifter will not shift out of park. We had to either pull it a little or push it a little to get the bind off of the tranny. No matter what it will not shift. On flat ground its fine. Took linkage off and manually went thru the gears and fine until we went back to put it in park and had a lot of springy tension and couldn't do it by hand until we gave it a little push and it popped into park. Its a b&m floor shifter. Even tried a different cable with no change? :mad:

Last edited:
Anyone do a parking pawl replacment on a c4 4x4 trans? Couldn't find much info on it. Is it accessible thru the tailshaft housing or pan,or does the trans have to come out and be completely disassembled? ??

Sorry, dunno much about the internals of what that parking pawl looks like... But perhaps the PO burred it somehow and now it's sticky in its travel... The easiest way, as described earlier, is to use the parking brake to stop the truck on an incline so it doesn't put side pressure on the pawl... Assuming the E-brake works like a champ...

Anyone do a parking pawl replacment on a c4 4x4 trans? Couldn't find much info on it. Is it accessible thru the tailshaft housing or pan,or does the trans have to come out and be completely disassembled? ??

If I remember correctly (it has been a while for the c4's) access to the park pawl requires removing the tailshaft housing and I believe the hyd casting for the governor has to come off as well...

an image of the park pawl (might not be exactly like yours) it is the part under the spring...

(follow the link because my work blocks me from image hosting sites... grrr)
Parking Pawl Ford

Maybe your spring is off or broken, which would not 'kick' the pawl out of engagement... just a thought...

Last edited: