• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Automotive Machine Shop ?????

J/Cope79

Alright Hardline members in the mid to northern Alabama area or even southern Tn. I have recently acquired a 86 4runner "project" I have the engine out and disassembled. It is definitely in need of a rebuild. I am wondering who everyone on here has used with good results and where to stay away from. It has the 22RE and im not trying to make it into anything spectacular, just a good reliable engine. I already have a new head (previous owners supplied) Anyhow let me know what you think.

Re:

Welcome to the Toyota side!
Hsv engine will treat you well for machine work.
Engblder, LCEngineering, all good parts.

the guy that did my work is in hazel green on 431,
roland machine and exhaust 256-829-9050, Kenny is his name
he did a really good job on the work but he got all screwed up on my parts.
I wanted to build a hot rod 22r and he bought stock parts. after he finally realized what I wanted
a year later I got my motor back.

a buddy of mine just got done building his motor in my shop.
he got the work done from tim at market street machine in Scottsboro.
I helped build this motor and it went together fine.
his number is 256-259-3058

good luck

J/Cope79 said:
Anyone had any dealings with R&R in Huntsville?
I was just getting ready to type this, R&R has been around along time, and built many high hp engines, I use to know a guy that worked there, Shane Stack, has a super fast turbo Monte Carlo on drag radials, I would say they have the know how and the resources to get it done right and fast. and if they don't want to fool with it, and you want to drive to Ft. Payne, we have a lil machine shop here that has been around since the 60's all still family members run it. and they are good, Praters Machine Shop, I know for sure they will do it.

X2 on R&R Speed shop. Been a few years since we worked with them but I believe they still have a good reputation. Worth checking out IMO.

machen4x4 said:
the guy that did my work is in hazel green on 431,
roland machine and exhaust 256-829-9050, Kenny is his name
he did a really good job on the work but he got all screwed up on my parts.
I wanted to build a hot rod 22r and he bought stock parts. after he finally realized what I wanted
a year later I got my motor back.

good luck

yeah I wouldn't recommend Roland. I used to work with him and he was shady.

Several friends of mine have used R&R to build their Mopar engines...and have had really good things to say about them. I've always used PSI in Fultondale.....but they're closing up shop.

zukimaster said:
I was just getting ready to type this, R&R has been around along time, and built many high hp engines, I use to know a guy that worked there, Shane Stack, has a super fast turbo Monte Carlo on drag radials, I would say they have the know how and the resources to get it done right and fast. and if they don't want to fool with it, and you want to drive to Ft. Payne, we have a lil machine shop here that has been around since the 60's all still family members run it. and they are good, Praters Machine Shop, I know for sure they will do it.

x2, dad done a lot of business with R&R when he was drag racing also, and another x2 on Praters in Fort Payne. Never heard any bad about either thumb.gif

J/Cope79 said:
im not against driving to Ft Misery.. lol

And I don't believe I have ever heard anyone call it Fort Misery besides my now deceased grandmother. She hated going to Fort Payne and always called it that. That's funny.

I used to work over there.... At the time and the place i worked for , well it got the name Ft Misery pretty quickly..
Thanks for the input everyone! I will be contacting R&R, Praters, and Southern Cyl Head.
On a side note, I will be needing various Toyota parts throughout the course of this Resto/Build. If anyone runs across any stock/mild parts or accessories for 1st gen 4runners let me know please. I have already been in contact with a couple folks on here and i Definitley appreciate the help so far. I might actually get off my arse and start a build up thread....maybe...