• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Axial RTR Review

bobbed_84_toy

ALWAY$ BROKE
I've been looking at crawlers for a while now, but being a nitro guy, I wasn't sure that the crawler would keep me entertained for long. When I saw the RTR however, I was sold. At least that way if it became a dust collector, I was only $350ish out. I figured there are a few people that are in a similar boat as I was, so I'll throw a quick review out there to help sway people one way or the other.

Obviously, the RTR is a big plus for a lot of people. It was nice to get it home, throw some batteries in it, and go crawl. However, you will want to toss the included spool for the front and the smaller pinion on it fairly quickly. The body also requires a LOT of trimming to clear the tires at full flex, but who wants to run the stock body anyways? With just this setup I ran it for hours with no problems:awesomework:

After quite a bit of bashing I noticed the steering servo was a bit sloppy, upgrade time. Picked up a $40 servo with 133oz of torque, and an aluminum tierod/draglink for $10(the stock plastic one is garbage). The next things to go were the plastic links. While they haven't broken, they do flex, bend, twist, and distort in every other way possible:redneck: . So another $30 for 30degree aluminum links and rod ends(the upper plastic links seem fine so far). At this point you should be able to bash on it for hours without problems.

On mine I cut the foam down in the tires a lot, and added a few ounces of weight inside the front tires, and a couple ounces in the back which dramatically helped it crawl. I also picked up some integy shocks, but haven't had a chance to tune them to get them to work how I want them. All in all I have no regrets about going the RTR route. Heck, if I went the build it yourself version, I probably still wouldn't be up and running:redneck:

a1-10.jpg

a3-11.jpg

Latest posts