• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Axle Housing Question~

MarcW

2004 rubicon LP 44 rear. 33 spline oddball. I am putting one together and noticed today that the wheel bearing races install by hand on both sides, and pull out. ZERO press fit. Is this housing trash? the bearing look great, and they felt smooth when pulled, but arent these bearing races supposed to be press fit?

Rear had superior shafts and 4.88's so im not sure if these races are factory or were put in when the gears were set up.

I thought they slipped in, and the brng/axle assy was held in with the flange, but I'm not 100%...

Let me check....Well that was easy!!! First thing in Alldata says....and I quote...

"REMOVAL

Remove axle shaft from vehicle. NOTE: It is normal that the axle bearing race is loose in the axle tube."

There you go!!!:redneck:

Last edited:
axle bearing

The axle bearing races will slide in that ok. They are clamped by the retainer plate / seal against the step in housing end, so they wont spin in housing when assembled.

2004 rubicon LP 44 rear. 33 spline oddball. I am putting one together and noticed today that the wheel bearing races install by hand on both sides, and pull out. ZERO press fit. Is this housing trash? the bearing look great, and they felt smooth when pulled, but arent these bearing races supposed to be press fit?

Rear had superior shafts and 4.88's so im not sure if these races are factory or were put in when the gears were set up.