• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bad u-joints or rear end?

Benhoward384

I just picked up this 04 wrangler, 4.0l, 5 speed with 83k miles, 4 inch lift with 33s from my father in law. I've had it for about a week and I've noticed when shifting I get a clunking noise. It happens mostly when pressing the clutch in, up shifting and accelerating. It will do it if I push the clutch in and out rapidly and it's definitely coming from the back. I jumped under there and grabbed the driveline and it didn't move side to side, I didn't try and twist it.

Does this sound like ujoints or rear end. I'll add that it has the disk brake Dana 44 and my brother in law drove it for 2 years and did zero maintenance. It's also never been wheeled outside of going up and down a mountain road everyday.

Any help, suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds like control arm bushings. A u-joint when it starts to go out is a vibration that can change with the gas pedal.

Sounds like control arm bushings. A u-joint when it starts to go out is a vibration that can change with the gas pedal.

Not getting any vibration and if I'm really light on the peddle and if I let the clutch out really slow, I don't get the popping sound. No noise coming from the rearend either so I don't think it's that.

So I've noticed if I'm real easy on letting the clutch out and the rpms are low that it won't make the popping noise. I have no vibration anywhere and the rearend isn't making any noise. Also no play from the drive shaft. So I can eliminate the u-joints and rearend.

The control arm bushing do look old. Is their anyway to determine if it's the control arms other than a visual inspection? Do you guys recommend any good aftermarket bushings and or control arms? Keep in mind it has a 4inch lift and 33's.

Thanks again for all the help.

Take 1/2 hr jack it up and start pushing/pulling and banging around, bet it only takes you a couple minutes to find the problem. If you don't you will find out what it is once its too late, say doing 60mph.:mad:

Last edited:
Take 1/2 hr jack it up and start pushing/pulling and banging around, bet it only takes you a couple minutes to find the problem. If you don't you will find out what it is once its too late, say doing 60mph.:mad:

Luckily I have more than one DD so I'm not driving it at the moment. I'm going to have it looked at today. (Don't have garage space to do it myself unfortunately)