• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Balancing with Airsoft BBs

creepycrawly

I semi-successfully balanced a set of Nitto Mudgrapplers several years ago using .20 Gram Airsoft BB's. They weren't great, but were better than knocking weights off every trip. With that being said, I used dynabeads to balance a set of 41.5 PBR's on raciness and they rode fantastic. The problem is that I am not forking over the $$ for more dynabeads.

I decided to try the airsoft thing again. I am stepping up to the .40 gram airsoft BB's this time. Dynabead suggests 10 ounces on 37's. Since the Krawlers are pretty heavy tires and they are on Walker Evans beadlocks, do you fellas think 10.5 ounces will suffice?

My plan is just to break the inner bead so I don't have to deal with re-torqueing all the beadlock bolts. Anyone have a reason I shouldn't do it this way?

I tried air-softs on my tires several years ago with partial success. Now I only have 31's but went with recommended amounts and they were good only to about 65mph and then there was vibrations. They had to be broke down to add more so I just took them out and went with stick on weights on the inside and left it there.

To do it again I would add a fair amount more and should have been good. From all I read what isn't "used" to balance the wheel will just evenly distribute throughout the wheel while driving.

http://innovativebalancing.com/mobile/chart_spec.php?4x4=1

Re:

I used counteract balance beads in my 38" mud grapplers on my mall crawler and they honestly balance better than anything I have ever used(airsoft and golf balls included). Well worth the $80 or so bucks and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Makes the truck a lot more fun to drive when you don't have to fight it or slow down when you hit a big bump and let the beads or balls re acclimate so you can hold it in the road.

I am gonna try the airsoft bbs. It isn't too terrible right now. If they don't help, Ill pull them and go back with dynabeads.

muddinmetal said:
7-8 golf balls :****:

I used 5 golf balls in 39.5 Iroks on allied beadlocks. Never had a problem with tires being balanced driving it on the street at speed. I heard the airsoft and bb's breakdown too quickly. You can buy stainless ball bearings from enco or someone like that may work as well though.

I used regular copper plated bb in a set of heavily grooved 33's. They worked great other than it sounded like I had a wheel bearing going bad when I slowed down to a roll coming to a stop.

I am gonna pass on the golf balls....I bet the copper BB's were LOUD! You could barely hear the airsoft BB's on my last set. Ill let y'all know how it works out. They should be here tomorrow and Ill throw them in as soon as the rain lets up.

Re:

I've done several sets with airsoft bb's. I add a little more than what the chart says.

I use glass beads that they use to make the paint on the roads reflective. They have always worked pretty well, a little vibration from 45-50 and then they smooth out.

I used the airsoft bb's one time and seemed to work ok till about July and the air temp was about 100 and all went south. Broke the tires down and you could see where they stuck together and then would break apart in pieces. None of them were round anymore, and some of the were in clumps.

rednecklights said:
When you say a "little" more how much are you talking about ?

I've got a set of mtr' that are horrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a larger tire I don't think I would be afraid to add 2-3 oz more than the base recommendation.

Ive used airsoft BBs with success. Personally I like to run water/antifreeze mixture. If i do a coolant change in a car, I filter it and keep it for this very reason. I still measure it out by weight and normally put in a little extra. I have also used alumaseal (radiator stop leak) on wheels/beadlocks that didnt seal as well. It sealed them right up.

I ran copper plates bb's on the 38's that were on my yota. They worked well, but above 65 they didn't work for ****. Being that that truck rairly went that fast it wasn't a problem. That was in Vegas so there wasn't a chance of rust. 5% humidity has its advantages! I plan on trying then again on my XJ real soon. I don't remember how much I put in but it was quite a bit. When I broke the tires down they were the most well polished bb's you have ever seen! I didn't notice an annoying noise with them and I had 1/2 doors.

rednecklights said:
When you say a "little" more how much are you talking about ?

I've got a set of mtr' that are horrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually divide up the hug container from wally word into 4 tires, in the 35-37 range its a little more weight than called for never measured it out but its not alot..

Mtrs good luck, they have issues with tires running out or getting out of round, I sold a set to a guy that got discount tire to replace 5 of the 4 tires I sold him. Sucks cause the new mtrs are nice but either you get a good set or a bad set.

creepycrawly said:
I am gonna try the airsoft bbs. It isn't too terrible right now. If they don't help, Ill pull them and go back with dynabeads.

I have had really good success with these. The trick I found was to get the high density air soft. But I didn't have vibes at any speed

skipnrocks said:
I have had really good success with these. The trick I found was to get the high density air soft. But I didn't have vibes at any speed

Yeah I got the .40 gram ones this time. I'll get them in this week and report back. Thanks for the shared experiences fellas.

I have never had any luck with any type of balancing media.(equal, bb's, golfballs, raquetballs). In my experience, any tire that is truly out of round will never "balance" regardless of how you do it. Id bet money that a large percentage of people claiming it works would also be happy with the same tires completely unbalanced. Mud grapplers are suprisingly round for what they are. They are a very well made tire and I have seen them need as little as 1 ounce to "zero" balance on a road force machine.

In my experience, air pressure adjusment has had a significant effect on the percieved "balance" felt. There is usually an air pressure "sweet spot" that will ride very smooth but not be under-inflated. Thats the best way I have found to make tires like bias swampers handle decent on pavement.