• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ball joints or Heim joints?

ronin-sj410

The balljoints in my entire steering setup are SHOT!!! I have see some guys have replaced their balljoints for heim joints. Im looking for some opinions and experiences with the heim joints. The vehicle is an 82 zuk w/ 35s, coiled with Toyota axles and Marlin hy-steer. Primarily trailered, but insured. From what I have seen the prices are about the same so I'm looking for the performance aspect. Thanks in advance you guys are always a lot of help!

I wouldn't do it on anything that is driven on the street at all. Heims get sloppy and rattle around, I have ran them in the steering in a few rigs and I don't think I would do it again unless doing a full hydro setup and needed the extra strength.

Definitely not one of the best ideas they get to sloppy to quickly been there done that wont do it again unless like hlb3 said a full hydro set up.

My TRE's are still tight after 4 yrs under the rig...Breeze hi-steer running 3 chevy TRE's and a Toy TRE at the pitman...:awesomework:

Hey zukkev thanks for the input.:awesomework: I'm definately ixnaying the heims. Perhaps like you I will find some other type of TRE's of higher standards. What led you to that configuration?

I ran heims on a (well used to be) DD rig. 2 years, ~6000 miles, + many wheeling trips and they are not even showing any wear. Ballistic fab cheapies FWIW, if i were to do it again, I would go with some from Ruffstuff.

The biggest thing with hiems is to buy quality ones, and run them in double shear. When you run them in single shear, they will loosen the bolts up.

Another thing is, smaller hiems will wear out faster, less 'bearing' area = greater wear. I run 7/8x3/4" hiems, necked down with high misalignment spacers for a 5/8" bolt.

Last edited:
Hey zukkev thanks for the input.:awesomework: I'm definately ixnaying the heims. Perhaps like you I will find some other type of TRE's of higher standards. What led you to that configuration?

Well, I wanted to keep something on there that was simple to find parts for should something ever go wrong, and doing my research when going hi-steer led me to www.breezeindustries.ca ... Their system uses chevy 1/2T TRE's at the wheel ends of the tie rods, and a toy TRE at the pitman---I have the TRW boxes the TRE's came in for part number reference even! :redneck: It has proven to be a very stout setup for me, and I would/have recommended them to others; The reason for their system is the Pitman is shorter on a sami/Tracker box, so their arms are abit longer to compensate for that and get you full steering back...

I ran heims on a (well used to be) DD rig. 2 years, ~6000 miles, + many wheeling trips and they are not even showing any wear. Ballistic fab cheapies FWIW, if i were to do it again, I would go with some from Ruffstuff.

The biggest thing with hiems is to buy quality ones, and run them in double shear. When you run them in single shear, they will loosen the bolts up.

Another thing is, smaller hiems will wear out faster, less 'bearing' area = greater wear. I run 7/8x3/4" hiems, necked down with high misalignment spacers for a 5/8" bolt.

Thanks for posting this. I just built my front steer linkage with the Ruff Stuff 7/8" x 3/4" chromoly heims drilled for the 5/8" bolts with safety spacer and the misalignment for a hydro assist set up. I've been running the 3/4 ton tie rod end for years, & never broke one, but wore them out. I've still got spares. I just pack good junk yard dogs with no play.
I'm turning 39.5" IROKs with 13" wheels with a welded front end.
After reading this, I'm not going to go through the trouble of changing them out before this weekend. But carry them as a spare for now.
One thing about heims over the tie rod conversion, is you drill out the taper.
I've had trouble keeping ball joints tight, so I figured my knuckles are probably worn. Drilling a 5/8" hole seems to give them a fresh start.

What kind of life expectancy can I get out of these heims? & I assume the suspension links are the same story? I've got their 7/8x7/8 chromoly heims on 1.5" DOM .25 wall for upper links, and 1 1/4" heims on DOM 2" .25 wall.
I've been considering mixing in a Ballistic ball some where too, on a 3 link front.
Got tips for longevity?

Thanks for posting this. I just built my front steer linkage with the Ruff Stuff 7/8" x 3/4" chromoly heims drilled for the 5/8" bolts with safety spacer and the misalignment for a hydro assist set up. I've been running the 3/4 ton tie rod end for years, & never broke one, but wore them out. I've still got spares. I just pack good junk yard dogs with no play.
I'm turning 39.5" IROKs with 13" wheels with a welded front end.
After reading this, I'm not going to go through the trouble of changing them out before this weekend. But carry them as a spare for now.
One thing about heims over the tie rod conversion, is you drill out the taper.
I've had trouble keeping ball joints tight, so I figured my knuckles are probably worn. Drilling a 5/8" hole seems to give them a fresh start.

What kind of life expectancy can I get out of these heims? & I assume the suspension links are the same story? I've got their 7/8x7/8 chromoly heims on 1.5" DOM .25 wall for upper links, and 1 1/4" heims on DOM 2" .25 wall.
I've been considering mixing in a Ballistic ball some where too, on a 3 link front.
Got tips for longevity?

A 7/8ths 7/8ths heims doesnt have as much ball surround (ball support didnt sound good) as a 7/8ths 3/4, but its a moot point as its your uppers. You should be fine if they never bind.

I think heims on a steering application tend to wear quicker if your running thru dirty/muddy situations alot. They lie flat, not verticle like a suspension link so crap can wear out the bearing race quicker.

Dont think about getting anything from Ballistic.

For longevity, keep em clean.

I jun Hiems right now on my trail rig. Been that way for 2+ years now. The jam nutt comes loose every so often. I keep telling myself I'm going to tack weld them but I never do. But after 2 years or more of beating on them (QA1's) they are still tight.

Definitely not one of the best ideas they get to sloppy to quickly been there done that wont do it again unless like hlb3 said a full hydro set up.

not to be a ****, but if thats the case, your buying junk heims.

I have changed my rear suspension hiems once in 6.5 years.
I have changed the front steerign hiems twice in that amount of time.

spend the money, get good ones, and there is NO issue.

not to be a ****, but if thats the case, your buying junk heims.

I have changed my rear suspension hiems once in 6.5 years.
I have changed the front steerign hiems twice in that amount of time.

spend the money, get good ones, and there is NO issue.

what brand are you buying?

Heims on my crossover steering setup last way longer then any TRE's and they feel way tighter. I also eliminated tie rod roll by going crossover. I only run ruffstuff heims and I run them on my front 3 link, pan hard, and steering. This was on my street legal trail rig. It saw just as much pavement and freeway speeds as it did trails. No complaints from me or customers I have sold my products to.