• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Batteries

nick c

Lewis & Clark bitches!
its time to replace the cabin batteries in the motor home. I know 2 6 volt batteries is the way to go, but what's the best bang for the buck?

This past weekend while hunting I'd wake up in the morning with the heater off because the batteries were dead.

I carry a Honda Eu1000 to charge the batteries as needed so I'm not necessarily needing to go several days with out a charge but it'd be nice to make it through the night.

its time to replace the cabin batteries in the motor home. I know 2 6 volt batteries is the way to go, but what's the best bang for the buck?

This past weekend while hunting I'd wake up in the morning with the heater off because the batteries were dead.

I carry a Honda Eu1000 to charge the batteries as needed so I'm not necessarily needing to go several days with out a charge but it'd be nice to make it through the night.

The best bang for the buck? Well.......it's not using your furnace, and to buy a radiant heater like they use in tents. For some stupid reason, camper fans draw a stupid amount of ampere hours. I made the switch a few years ago, and now all the battery powers is the lights and water pump, and my nearly dead battery from 10 years ago still will work for a week. I also only use my fridge on propane, unless I'm driving, when I'll switch to 12v.

just get the two largest batteries that will fit and keep the furnace turned way down at night.

Swing into Battery Systems and talk to them. They are great guys and will set you up with what is best for your needs. And good prices. They're in the Warehouse just before W. Valley goes under 167 in Sumner. Their house brand is Centennial (made by Johnson Control) and I'm running them in a ton of our gear at work w/o issues. They also stock Trojan, Odyssey, Optima, etc.

I run 4 trojan 6volt batteries in my MH and 2 solar panels on the roof. Runs all night and charges themselves back up during the day.

I would get a solar panel into the heater box of the furnace to run the fan. That's what more "modern" Alaskan homes have with LPG. A mini gen-set on 12 VDC running on LPG would be sweet. Run the exhaust through the furnace venting to add more heat.

No they're not.

As for radiant heater - they are fine for small RVs, but big RVs with ducted heating need the fans to push heat into the other rooms.

I like the Diehard Platinum batteries. Made by Odyssey. Once or twice a year Sears runs a sale on Diehards.
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platin...p-02850134000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Oh no its the grammar police :fawkdancesmiley:

Well get ear plugs than, I'm going to run mine all night at Naches:fawkdancesmiley:
Then camp somewhere else:fawkdancesmiley:

The Big Buddy seems to be the go to choice for most boondockers. I've had a Little Buddy for years that I bought for tent camping. I have used it in my 32' 5th wheel a few times and even that little thing puts out enough heat to take the chill out of the air.