• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Battery Help

HillbillyPlumber

I drove to Renton and back the other day.Little over an hour each way.When I got home the Optima in my Dodge smelled real strong like sulfer.It was also making a hissing sound and was very hot to the touch.This is the only time this has happened, but I rarely drive it farther than half that distance.What do you think it could be?

Is it leaking at all? There is a little black disk with a blowoff valve on top. If you have it mounted sideways or that valve has gone on you, it may leak a little bit.

What do the posts look like? Are they corroded at all?

sounds like an overcharge situation, do you have dual batteries with an electric isolator?

the posts look fine no corrosion,but there is quite a bit of acid splashed around looks like its coming out thru the crack where the top (blue)meets bottom(grey)the top is also a little wavy like it was starting to melt.I wonder if one of the cells inside is broken maybe? prolly just take it back to costco,I love their return policy.

Could be cracked.

Most places have a 3 year warranty for optimas. Even if they arent dead, you can always slam them with a winch and take them back for a fresh one.

I own a autoparts store and have seen this before youre aternator has overcharged the batt.Voltage reg. i sjacked up.
________
R1150R

Last edited: