• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Battery Question

mike d

Borrowed a battery charger. Got a brand new battery that has gone dead, I know there are certain steps that need to be done when charging a battery, i just dont know them. Trickle charge?

6Volt 10Amp

12volt 2Amp

12volt 10Amp

These are 3 of my 4 options on my charger 4th is 55amps for Starting

With a lead acid battery it's pretty simple.

1) Your voltage setting on the charger must match the output of the battery: you can't charge a 12 volt battery with a 6 volt setting.

2) Set the amperage so that the battery dosen't get too hot. Thats the bottom line on the amperage. The battery can get warmer than body temperature without damage but if it gets hot or better yet VERY warm like food temperature warm its too hot and your damaging the battery. Pick an amperage and check the battery every so often.

Buy a "battery tender plus" and be done with all battery issues. It can be hooked up to an 12v battery and left for as long as you want. It will not over charge. I have been using a few of these for the last 4-5 years and all batteries are still in perfect shape.

Buy a "battery tender plus" and be done with all battery issues. It can be hooked up to an 12v battery and left for as long as you want. It will not over charge. I have been using a few of these for the last 4-5 years and all batteries are still in perfect shape.

yep and on a side note if your charging a optama trickle charge it if you try too do a fast charge you'll fry it..

Sounds to me like the charger he's got is one of the smaller hand-held chargers....it should automatically reduce the amperage as it becomes charged....