• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bead locks and inner tubes?

Darby1

I'm tired of my tires going flat while sitting on my trailer. I'm sure my friends are tired of having my tires go flat when they burp air out of the inner bead, and then it slows us all down on the trail. What problems would I expect to encounter if I ran inner tubes in my tires? Does anyone else run inner tubes? Will it fix my problem or create a new one? I have 15" steel wheels on DIY beadlocks with 36 Iroks.

Its the DIY beadlocks that are the problem. Don't know about running inner tubes.

x2 and I had the same issues with the inner beads on my DIY beadlocks. I sold them and bought some Trailreadys and don't have a single issue with inner beads anymore

dismount the tires and weld a couple "build up" passes on the inner safety bead making it taller and therefore harder to push in/over and burp.

Oh yeah, this modification is free.:beer:

x2 and I had the same issues with the inner beads on my DIY beadlocks. I sold them and bought some Trailreadys and don't have a single issue with inner beads anymore

I've always Liked the TR's too, I just can't afford them yet. Mark M has the 17" dual beadlocks and that would be my preffered fix but for now, I need a Bandaid.

Inner Tubes, anybody? LesSchwab has them in stock

dismount the tires and weld a couple "build up" passes on the inner safety bead making it taller and therefore harder to push in/over and burp.

X2!!..Only I weld in wire...I have two sets of DIY locks and NEVER loose a bead.:beer:

This^^^^^ I've used wire, like Binder said, works really well.....just be prepared for your inner bead to POP on like an ATV tire

I've always Liked the TR's too, I just can't afford them yet. Mark M has the 17" dual beadlocks and that would be my preffered fix but for now, I need a Bandaid.

Inner Tubes, anybody? LesSchwab has them in stock

Innertubes ,@ low pressure, shift around inside the wheel and tend to tear the valve stem outa the tube

Allright :awesomework: Dismounting them is a pain. I think i will take the advice though and use this as an excuse to hot knife my tires at the same time.

Apparantly I'm the only fool who's ever ran an innertube.
Yes, you can run tubes with negligable issues.
However, you MUST get the correct size. Tubes are NOT a one-size-fits-all item. My first tube was for a "15" inch wheel. However I was running 35/15/15 boggers at the time, and cut a sidewall. I had it re-vulcanized. However it would slow leak. So I tried the tube. The second tube I used was a correctly sized for the tire, and it held air just fine. I ran pressures from 5 psi to 30 psi with no problems. The tube was still in the tire when I sold the set. Towards the end of my ownership of that set of tires, the ONLY tire that didn't leak down was the tube'd one.

T

Apparantly I'm the only fool who's ever ran an innertube.
Yes, you can run tubes with negligable issues.
However, you MUST get the correct size. Tubes are NOT a one-size-fits-all item. My first tube was for a "15" inch wheel. However I was running 35/15/15 boggers at the time, and cut a sidewall. I had it re-vulcanized. However it would slow leak. So I tried the tube. The second tube I used was a correctly sized for the tire, and it held air just fine. I ran pressures from 5 psi to 30 psi with no problems. The tube was still in the tire when I sold the set. Towards the end of my ownership of that set of tires, the ONLY tire that didn't leak down was the tube'd one.

T

Hmmmm, I may still go this route then

Thank you, for all the advice guys

I had Staun beadlock "tubes" for a short time. They STRONGLY recommended putting ALOT of talcum powder in, between the tire and tube; reduces friction.

That's all the info I got........Good luck and God speed.:D

keep saving your $$ while you keep pumping more air, then get some TR when your cash stack is looking right.

Try green tire slime that stuff is amazing might fix you up till u can buy the good beadlocks. we did it with a set a couple years ago and it sealed the diy beadlocks right up

I run tubes in a set of tires I ran on my race truck.... Ok it only saw a couple races with those tires but had no bead issues.

I guess its an old PNW racer guy trick, hence the reason I did it.

The biggest issue I was told about them was the tire spinning on the rim and ripping the stem off the tube, with your locks that shouldn't be an issue.

Like Mauler said however, I don't know what the long term, lowpressure crawling life-span of the tubes would be, but tubes are cheap, and if they gain you a year or two they might be worth it. Shop for the tubes like TreeClimber mentioned. If the tire guy really doesn't know what he's talking about, find someone else that does.