• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Beadlocks DIY

L

lowbudgetjunk

ezetyjum.jpg

I have a well worn, well grooved set of 38's that are getting replaced by another set. The beads on two are a little eaten up so here's what I wonder. Do I go with a set of DIY bead locks to save the coin or buy a decent set of double beadlocks as an investment for the future?

I've had some hummer double bead locks on my truck and with decent o-rings they have never leaked down. The DIY set I have on my Scout leak down within a week or so.

Any thoughts or opinions welcomed. Money is a little right, but if I could find a DIY kit that was halfway decent, I would probably just go that route.

Damn! Lets see some more pics of that left tire. I gotta get a better look.

What size rim are you running ? For the most part an outer beadlock is all that's necessary. Really depends in wheel size and how low of tire pressure you run. But if you will use some good silicone when mounting the diy's up you will be fine

The DIYs are cheap and work good, it's all in how well you weld it. Make sure the steel wheels you use aren't bent or beat to **** already, as the added weight of the rings will amplify the flaws 10X if you ever get up to highway speed.

Guess I need to silicone up the scout, cause it leaks like a sieve. Just a clear silicone I am guessing?

Wheels are 15x10 I believe and tires are 38's not too certain on width.

I was half wondering about running tubes in them to help with leaking down, but I am still undecided.

I understand DIY beadlocks are a little cheaper but getting them installed correctly is a time consuming pain in the ass! I have done one set with stiffeners on the inside and I will never do that again if any way possible!

Another thing I have some old very used 15x10 beadlocks 8x6.5 lug I would sell cheap? A lot of the nuts are missing and rings and rims are bent and the valve stem holes are drilled for tubes! Pm if you are interested!

I'm still screwing around with my DIY beadlocks that I started hmmm...almost a year ago. If I was in a hurry I could probably have them done in a weekend but they are such a pain in the ass that I get frustrated and set them aside for a later date. Also, I think my wheels are reversed so its a pain to get the tire over the outer bead and to get them off I have to use the bucket on the tractor. DIY beadlocks have been a terrible experience for me.

JerryG said:
Damn! Lets see some more pics of that left tire. I gotta get a better look.

That's the best of four. Once I get them dismounted, I'll snap a few good pics. Don't forget the screen name and it will all make perfect sense.

lowbudgetjunk said:
That's the best of four. Once I get them dismounted, I'll snap a few good pics. Don't forget the screen name and it will all make perfect sense.

Were those on the CJ Steve had?