• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Belly Height

mark

What are folks running for "Belly Height". Distance from ground to effective 'bottom of frame'.

Both Buggys, Truggys and Wheelers. Size of tire and is it enough??, too much?? or just right??

I have a bare frame (standard frame, not tube frame) sitting on the garage floor and I'm going to start laying things out, making stuff fit and setting the heights. End result (I hope) is something between a truggy and a buggy to the best of my budget and time allow. I've somewhat randomly chosen a frame (ride) height of 20". Going for a mostly flat belly with a crossmember/skid plate at the most hanging down 1" or so. With 40" tires (39.'s actually) that would put the belly right about the center line of the axle. Too low?? Too high? Just about right? I haven't started laying things out, so it might just have to go up to fit with clearance between the motor, front axle and links, but I'd like to get a good feal for a starting point.

Thanks
-mark
________
Frying

Last edited:
What frame do you have?

approx. 22" to belly w/ 36" Iroks on an s-10 :rolleyes: flat belly, nothing hangs below the frame rails. Top of cab is approx. 6'-6"

The Luv project I had (Suburban Chassis) had a 4" lift spring in front and stock rears redone to equal hieght, I had about 22" also with 39.5s on it. top of LUV cab was at 6'-4"

I would say, A good rule of thumb would be. Nothing lower then megatoy's yota! Roughly 6 ft.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

That brings the funny for the day.

Thanks Guys, that's give me some really good info. I see that many folks are in the 19-22, 23" range and the others (with some exceptions) not too much higher.

Sounds like a good number to shoot for and see how things fit. Got to start somewhere, right?
________
Free Kohls Gift Card

Last edited:
And to answer the rest of your origonal question....

I'm happy with my 26" height it works out rather well. Thats with a 128 1/2" wheelbase too so I need a bit more height under the belly. I keep trying to convince myself to drop it down to 23" but I fear getting stuck on my belly too much....

And to answer the rest of your origonal question....

I'm happy with my 26" height it works out rather well. Thats with a 128 1/2" wheelbase too so I need a bit more height under the belly. I keep trying to convince myself to drop it down to 23" but I fear getting stuck on my belly too much....
Good info. Opinions matter. - thanks

I'm going to try to keep in in the 105-ish range, not to far off my 'stock' 100" and it also seems to be in the relm of the more common WB people run when they start from scratch.
________
Israeli Recipes

Last edited: