• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best module/chip for 2006 Duramax?

Digger 5

A buddy of mine has decided to go with a chip or module for his STOCK 2006 Duramax. What advise do you have?

TIA

PPE!!

The only thing better is EFIlive. But that's mainly for those going after big power or that want to play with the software themselves on the laptop. They do give you some tunes already put together. But PPE is plenty for most.

PPE!!

The only thing better is EFIlive. But that's mainly for those going after big power or that want to play with the software themselves on the laptop. They do give you some tunes already put together. But PPE is plenty for most.

PPE:awesomework:
I had a PPE in my 03 and it work great. Got one for my 08 now and wouldnt' try anything else.:awesomework:

I ran a Edge for awhile and do not recommend it. I was running a Diablo sport for awhile. For the price you couldn't beat it.

EFI Live if you like tuning and playing with stuff (ie. tunes or dyno stuff)

Otherwise PPE for a "set it and forget it" tuner.

I have the PPE on level 2 on my 03 Dmax. It's good enough for me. I was running it at level 3 but found I couldn't get traction in the rain very well. Level 5 is just straight retarded. Smokes pretty good, but you are in danger of limping the trans with anything over level 3.

I've limped my trans 3 times. Time for a suncoast then I will probably leave it on level 5 all the time.

Best bet? Find someone with either setup, see if they would be willing to tune your truck and try it out. :awesomework:

One more vote for PPE as an easy tuner. I run the Hot+2, Tuner stays on level 3 and goes all the way up when I want to play:D

EFI live is also great but I still see it as more for a higher modded guy.

That all being said I have been looking to upgrade to EFI live as of lately.

PPE Hot+2
sadly the 04 I bought recently came with edge juice w/attitude, haven't had any problems with it, but would have it rather been PPE lol

So what's wrong with the Edge just out of curiosity?

I bought mine the day after I bought my '05 D-max and have about 40k miles on it so far, with regular towing, etc... and I drive like an asshole. I'm running the Juice with attitude monitor, the power seems good, the economy seems normal, etc. Scott, if your buddy wants to test drive one with an Edge, he's welcome to try mine.

J

So what's wrong with the Edge just out of curiosity?

I bought mine the day after I bought my '05 D-max and have about 40k miles on it so far, with regular towing, etc... and I drive like an asshole. I'm running the Juice with attitude monitor, the power seems good, the economy seems normal, etc. Scott, if your buddy wants to test drive one with an Edge, he's welcome to try mine.

J

It's all about the reliability... Ask Ramos how many of those he's gotten back for warranty work next time you talk to him.. You'll get an earful..

I bought an Edge juice with attitude for my Dad's 05 Dodge. But couldn't bring myself to tell him that if his truck dies. Unplug the Edge and drive away. I ditched it before it even got installed because of all of the dead truck on the side of the road stories. Something like 60 or 70+% return on the attitude monitor alone. I believe the box itself has a 40% failure rate. It's one thing if it happens to me. But with my Dad towing an 18k lb 40' trailer, I wasn't going to chance it

It's pretty much unanimous if you go to any of the diesel sites.. PPE makes the best product for the plug and play crowd.. And you absolutely must have EFI live if you want to go for high hp.. (which will be available for Dodge soon as well :cheer:)

Last edited:
Interesting, Jeff. I've got an Edge on my truck, Edge on Jason's (my tech's) D-max, Edge on my neighbor's D-max, and I've probably sold a dozen on GM, Ford, Dodge over the last year and more before that... I've yet to see a single issue.

I'd definitely be down to try something different, I'm always willing to educate myself to better serve my customers and help them get the best bang for their buck. Do you have a link to any good reading/info on the PPE programmer that you're talking about?

John

Interesting, Jeff. I've got an Edge on my truck, Edge on Jason's (my tech's) D-max, Edge on my neighbor's D-max, and I've probably sold a dozen on GM, Ford, Dodge over the last year and more before that... I've yet to see a single issue.

I'd definitely be down to try something different, I'm always willing to educate myself to better serve my customers and help them get the best bang for their buck. Do you have a link to any good reading/info on the PPE programmer that you're talking about?

John

I'll search for the "good" info.. It's been around so long now that it is rarely a topic anymore..

And I'm not slamming how well Edge works. They've always made great modules. But when they started getting too popular they started farming out the manufacturing side of things outside of the country. Reliability took a huge dive. Some people have no issues whatsoever. But it fails for way more people then it should that's for sure.

03' Dmax. Loved my Edge w/ attitude when I bought it untill my truck died while I was pulling my GN horse trailer @ 11:eek:opm no power steering or brakes can be spooky. I unplugged the edge and it was fine. Sent it back and got a new one. 2nd juice lasted 6mos and **** out also. At that point Edge was swallowed by Accell and service went bye bye.
If anyone needs a Attitude monitor for cheap let me know. My juice is fawked though............

Those running the PPE....

was it worth it? Mo power is always better, but more millage (or more power with little to no change in millage) is just as good. Smoke does not interest me (in normal running), and no smell.

Karl says he runs his on 2 all the time, any change in millage? What about when you start bumping it up (besides the hot rodding factor which kills millage faster than anything).

I was originally thinking EFI Live, since earlier research all said it was the ****. But I also don't see myself f'n with it all the time or modding the hell out of my truck. I'd rather put that money into my wheeling rig :D