• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best option for mounting transmission and transfer case.

rugger99

I am at the stage where i need to get the Atlas II mounted. I am entertaining three different options.

1. I can fab a mount for the transmission (30RH) using the factory mounting location and let the Atlas hang off the end.

2. I can fab a mount for the Atlas and let the transmission be supported by the engine / Atlas mounts.

3. I can fab mounts for both the transmission and the Atlas.

I am thinking option number two is the route to go. No matter which option I go with, the mounts will all be aftermarket polyurethane bushings. What thoughts do you guys have ?

secure em well, they'll damage your tranny if you don't, TMR makes some very affordable options for all major cases, fast shipping , well priced and easy to modify for your application :dblthumb:

When you say Atlas mount do you mean a tail housing mount or a two bolt trans adapter mount? I'm not familiar with that trans.

I'll take option 3 for $200 Alex.
Fab a mount the captures both the trans and Atlas ridged and a single mount to the chassis x member. 2 engine mounts and a single trans/tc mount forms a triangle. Make the engine mounts control the torque.

I added a mount on the front output to also help control the torque on the last buggy

b5d1b58b685dc102b24156265cfe7cd7.jpg

I'll add this to everyone else's advice, if you can mount from the top, mount from the top. Best to hang on a piece that will never see contact than mount to a piece that will be raked across everything in 6 states.

here is how i hung my trans.
Trans mount inspired from the Jim's Garage buggies. The crossbar serves as some of the structure for my seat mounts.

I tied into the adapter as well. Flipped it 180* and drilled out a couple holes for the atlas studs to go through. (The atlas is not symmetric when flipped 180)

Atlas is mounted on its own crossmember above the rear link crossmember using a TMR mount. I did this to keep everything up out of the way in case i take a hard belly hit.
You can see it here.

pholmann said:
I'll add this to everyone else's advice, if you can mount from the top, mount from the top. Best to hang on a piece that will never see contact than mount to a piece that will be raked across everything in 6 states.

Good advice to keep mounts on isolated crossmembers. If you play hard and mounts are attached to something that will take an impact it better be stout. I just finished crossmembers and mounts for my buddies cab truck where he didn't want to cut the cab going above and a few more reasons. The skid could contact so they got the bombproof treatment. I made the rear Atlas support using a 100mm hole saw and it is perfect. The front mount is for the Atlas adapter behind a th400. Motor mounts are the same poly by the block.

Jduck, I like that front support for a solid mount. A case can see a huge load from the rig landing on the driveshaft.

Re: Re: Best option for mounting transmission and transfer case.

the_white_shadow said:
Those are BEEF.
That's almost understatement, holy hell those are badass!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Best option for mounting transmission and transfer case.

onepieceatatime said:
That's almost understatement, holy hell those are badass!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Ha, thanks! Definitely built them for the long haul.

This is both of TMR customs tcase mounts that I altered slightly for this application . Using the side mount of a stock 205 and adding the rear mount as well. Ive supported several cases in my builds and always have made my own mounts and never felt satisfied that they were perfect . This setup does just that. Very sturdy and well supported and priced well and easy to work with

pholmann said:

100% with you on this.

pholmann said:

This likely will not be doable as the vehicle in question is a 95 YJ. Fortunately, with the Motobilt 4 Link system, there is enough room to build mounts that will be above the skid plate by approximately 2" . Once I get something figured out / fabbed, I will post up some photos.

Mine isn't mounted from the top but I'm considering changing that before I powder. I've already cut out and replaced a couple bars in the bottom that weren't supported enough.