• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best source for 7075 links??

pholmann said:
I buy the solid stock I need off of eBay and have them machined. But my dads a machinist so......

That's what I've been looking at doing. Figure it'll cost me ~ $100 to have them machined.

They're $400 from WOD.

What's really the purpose for running alum links? Is it the weight, strength, or the bling? Just seems like double or triple the cost of what a 2" 2.50 dom link would cost to build. :dunno:

zukimaster said:
What's really the purpose for running alum links? Is it the weight, strength, or the bling? Just seems like double or triple the cost of what a 2" 2.50 dom link would cost to build. :dunno:

From the research I've done a solid aluminum link will actually weigh as much or more than the same dia. .375 wall steel. (I don't use .25" wall on anything, it bends too easy IMO.) But the 7075-T6 material has better memory and will return back to "more straight" more times than steel. HOWEVER, a heat-treated Chromo .25" wall link will be stronger than .375" DOM, be lighter than either aluminum or thicker wall DOM, and have as good if not better memory than the aluminum. These are all very general statements.

And since I brought that up, who besides Heretic Fab is in the chromo business?

zukimaster said:

They're supposed to be able bend a little and spring back straight.

Right now my .250 2" square lowers are all bent to ****. I just say they're "high clearance" loller.gif

patooyee said:
From the research I've done a solid aluminum link will actually weigh as much or more than the same dia. .375 wall steel. (I don't use .25" wall on anything, it bends too easy IMO.) But the 7075-T6 material has better memory and will return back to "more straight" more times than steel. HOWEVER, a heat-treated Chromo .25" wall link will be stronger than .375" DOM, be lighter than either aluminum or thicker wall DOM, and have as good if not better memory than the aluminum. These are all very general statements.

And since I brought that up, who besides Heretic Fab is in the chromo business?

Would a chromoly link have to be heat treated after welding?

kboring said:
Would a chromoly link have to be heat treated after welding?

Ideally, yes. But the area affected by the weld is only about an inch or less up the length of the bar from where the weld was made, which is not where the bends ever occur. The middle of the bar that is the spot that normally bends retains its HT characteristics which is really all that matters. That's why Heretic used to sell link kits that came un-welded. (Cutting the bar was an entirely different challenge!)

I had Heretic Fab lower links on the rear of my last buggy and was VERY happy with them. Heretic seems to be out of business now though.

kmcminn said:
I have read stories on pirate of people running .120 wall chromolly uppers.

Draggbody ran .120 DOM uppers in the rear on his buggy for a long time before one finally gave out. We were all surprised at how long it held up to the BBC. On a lighter buggy with reasonable power I wouldn't hesitate to do .120 chromo uppers at all.

I helped pit crew on an ultra 4 team last year that ran .095 cromo uppers. I was shocked, he said he's never had one fail. I'm thinking it was only about 1 1/4".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk