• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best way to cut 1" thick steel

underoath4177

I've got some 1" thick steel i was going to use to make d-ring recovery points out of, like the ones from tmr that go all the way through the bumper and welded on both sides. I got a quote to get them water jetted out and they want $125. Seeing As how i can buy them for $40/pair, that ain't happening. So what would be the most accurate way to cut them out myself?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Re: Best way to cut 1" thick steel

underoath4177 said:
I already have the steel.

I've cut them with a torch or cut them out with a portaband in the past, then cleaned them with a grinder.

Is it plate steel (like a big sheet) or flat stock?

Barnes sells 3/4" ones for $17/pair http://www.barnes4wd.com/Bumper-Clevis-Pair_p_279.html

Torch with #2 tip so it forces you to cut slow then cleanup with a grinder.
Not as bad as you think if your good with a torch

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best way to cut 1" thick steel

TBItoy said:
I've cut them with a torch or cut them out with a portaband in the past, then cleaned them with a grinder.

Is it plate steel (like a big sheet) or flat stock?

Barnes sells 3/4" ones for $17/pair http://www.barnes4wd.com/Bumper-Clevis-Pair_p_279.html

Plate steel. Awesome thanks, I'll check them out.

Sometimes it is hard for us to admit it is cheaper and easier to just buy certain things!

afirover said:

Alot of times with plasma you dont get a good cut when that thick even if the machine is rated for it. I may be old school by using a torch for anything over 1/2 if I want it to look good

Have cut 1" steel a lot just use a large 4-5 tip and crank up the oxy pressure and go slow, smooth them up with a 4" sanding disk

Re: Re: Best way to cut 1" thick steel

I normally use this torch
u2ygymyp.jpg

& then clean it up in the mill if it needs it.
y5azeva4.jpg

Latest posts