• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best way to get air out of P.S. system ?

Mark m.

I put a new P.S. box on my Toyota and pretty much drained all the fluid out. Lots of air bubbles in the fluid now. What's the best way to get the air out of the system ?

I lifted the frontend (no load on the tires) and with the engine off turned the wheel back and forth until the bubbles were pretty much gone. Repeated with the engine running and then lowered back on the ground and repeated again with the engine running.

I lifted the frontend (no load on the tires) and with the engine off turned the wheel back and forth until the bubbles were pretty much gone. Repeated with the engine running and then lowered back on the ground and repeated again with the engine running.

X2 do it engine off tires off ground probably 50 back and forths. Cap off as well.

Fire up engine with reservoir full, put a load on steering wheel to initiate the pump action, once you hear the pump start to whine...shut off immediately and let sit for several minutes, until air bubbles dissipate...Fire up again, turn wheel until you hear whining, shut off/let sit...Repeat as necessary to remove the air, all the while keeping the reservoir filled......Thetiny air bubbles are what causes the whining pump. Repeat until no whining can be heard. Eventually the air will be minimal and you can run engine and turn wheel to purge the last of the air out. I have never had good luck with turning the wheel back and forth with the engine off and front axle unloaded...Still has a crapload of air in system, and end up doing it my original way anyhow...Been doing it this way for many years.

Fire up engine with reservoir full, put a load on steering wheel to initiate the pump action, once you hear the pump start to whine...shut off immediately and let sit for several minutes, until air bubbles dissipate...Fire up again, turn wheel until you hear whining, shut off/let sit...Repeat as necessary to remove the air, all the while keeping the reservoir filled......Thetiny air bubbles are what causes the whining pump. Repeat until no whining can be heard. Eventually the air will be minimal and you can run engine and turn wheel to purge the last of the air out. I have never had good luck with turning the wheel back and forth with the engine off and front axle unloaded...Still has a crapload of air in system, and end up doing it my original way anyhow...Been doing it this way for many years.

this :awesomework:

this :awesomework:

yes, this has worked for me also:awesomework:

I was doing it this way with not much luck.

I'm going give this a try. Thanks.