• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best way to lift the front of a 92 toyota

SAPPER

Couple weeks ago helped my brother in law put a set of leafs in the back of his 92 Toyota because one of his leafs broke, got them from one of the guys on this board who was very helpfull, however they had added a leaf spring to stiffen them up a bit and it turned out they lifted the back of his truck around 3". He does summer camping trips and some mild off road exploring so wondering how to lift the front even only an inch or 2 to level it out and get some 32 or 33" tires under it maybe. Any tricks out there that don't blow the bank?:beer:

I dont know but is it a torsion bar setup in the far?? IFS? its not a great way but you could just get a new torsion key to lift it 2 or so in

Yes, torsion bar keys are available for 'em...Will get you what your after, but bare in mind this will end up throwing the angles out of whack on the CV's and may well cause premature wear on them...Advise??? Remove a leaf or two in the back to get it somewhat level....:awesomework:

I have ball joint spacers on my 93 with a 1" body lift and the 33's fit with a little hammering. Probably as cheap as any other solution.

I wondered about the torsion bars is it like the s10 where you crank the bolt tighter to get more twist? how big are the ball joint spacers sounds like if I cranked it slightly and used spacers might work out. I guess it will be harder on the cv's but for how much he uses 4x4 probly not too big a concern.
And I considered the best solution of removing a leaf but after a 4 hour ordeal of installing them (lots of blue wrenching) and those crappy bushing pieces with the enlarged centre pin took forever to get back together I'm trying to avoid that:puke:

Even if he doesn't use 4x4 that often, they still turn....which the boots will tear prematurely and then it's all downhill from there!

you can crank down the torsion bars but it will be a stiff ride to say the least, i would try the ball joint spacer first and see where you need to go from there my 02

you can crank down the torsion bars but it will be a stiff ride to say the least, i would try the ball joint spacer first and see where you need to go from there my 02

My buddy ran some ball joint spacers, an it rode rough! He sas'd it, an it rode better than it did with bj spacers.

My buddy ran some ball joint spacers, an it rode rough! He sas'd it, an it rode better than it did with bj spacers.

Ball joint spacers have nothing to do with ride, all they do is move the position of the wheel. Torsion bar adjustment will stiffen the ride but it also has more range, you can usually crank them until the A arm is hitting the bump stop. You may not get 3" of lift even doing both, BJ spacers are usually 1-1.5". If you're not specifically trying to fit bigger tires then redoing the rear leafs is the best solution.

Thanks for all the input, did some research on the ball joint spacers, figure it will cost 120 for spacer kit, 120 for new shocks, 40 for alignment, and possibly wheel spacers? Looking at almost $300 for maybe 1.5-2" with a torsion bar tweak, and possible accelerated cv wear (I didn't know they spun in 2wd as well) I think we'd be better of to wait for a used proper 4" lift that lowers the diff to come available or save for new front lift kit, if they sell just the front...

:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the input, did some research on the ball joint spacers, figure it will cost 120 for spacer kit, 120 for new shocks, 40 for alignment, and possibly wheel spacers? Looking at almost $300 for maybe 1.5-2" with a torsion bar tweak, and possible accelerated cv wear (I didn't know they spun in 2wd as well) I think we'd be better of to wait for a used proper 4" lift that lowers the diff to come available or save for new front lift kit, if they sell just the front...

SAS time!!!!!

Folks do from time to time have an IFS lift for sale on here pretty reasonable...but if you're goin' for that much lift, I agree----SAS it!!! The cheap way to get the truck level is to modify the rear pack, as mentioned before...:awesomework:

HaHa, sas probly not going to happen any time soon... I told him my 92 ranger came from the factory with a 3.5" lift block in the back, had a nice rake to it just like his. :haha:

i was surfin CL earlier and came a cross a good deal on a 4in ifs lift, i will see if i can find it again... and not all ifs fronts came with drive flanges. i think only the auto rigs did

found one kit for sale. seams alittle expensive but you never no..
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/1590500574.html

Last edited: