• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Biggest camper for my short box?

T_MADD1

Like the title states, I want to know what length my 1ton short box Dodge can handle? How many feet can be safely sticking out of the bed?

I found a great deal on a 10' but I think it's two long.

Thanks, Tim

I'm sure others will state otherwise... but my understanding is that regardless of total length of the camper, you should get a camper designed for a 6ft bed (or 8ft bed in the case of a long box)... as the center of the weight of the camper is different for campers designed for a 6ft vs an 8ft bed. This is done to ensure the weight is properly distributed over the axle...

I'm sure others will state otherwise... but my understanding is that regardless of total length of the camper, you should get a camper designed for a 6ft bed (or 8ft bed in the case of a long box)... as the center of the weight of the camper is different for campers designed for a 6ft vs an 8ft bed. This is done to ensure the weight is properly distributed over the axle...

I don't know about that, but an 8' camper is designed to be supported for all 8'. Bad things could happen if 2' are hanging in space, think of your house missing a quarter of it's foundation. :eeek:

Typically a stealership wont sell you anything over 8.5 to keep you on the "safe" side.
Stealership don't really care a whole lot, they let my cousin-in-law load his 12 footer up in a 79 F250 longbed on 39" TSL's and more lift than he needed for those even, they aren't supposed to load that on anything but a dually.

Stealership don't really care a whole lot, they let my cousin-in-law load his 12 footer up in a 79 F250 longbed on 39" TSL's and more lift than he needed for those even, they aren't supposed to load that on anything but a dually.

Like is said "typically" sometimes u get the fawkers that just wanna take ur money and send u on ur way, dont give a **** if u roll ur truck over and die.

i run an 8' on my 6' bed(chevy). didnt notice any problems with the excess hanging off. all the weight of my camper is forward so i barely had any sag.

re

Depends on how old the camper is...older ones are heavy, new ones lighter. I have a f350 short box with a 8.5 foot 1983 camper and can't even tell its there. Plus if you get a camper that sticks out to far how are you going to pull a trailer.

also what to watch it with older campers if they have a bathroom, dodge truck beds get narrower at the rear. I had to cut 3"s in on the bath room wall to make the camper fit properly.:mad:

I went thru the same thing when I was looking for a camper last year. Your better off in the long run to get a camper MADE for a short bed. I found mine used at a stealership and paid $8,000 for a 2000 S&S 8'. My jacks hit my trailer when I have to make a sharp turn on uneven ground. So as others have said 8.5' would be about as long as I'd go. Also a camper made for a short bed has it's center of gravity more to the front.

Ok, this might sound retarded, but that's nothing new from me: How ghetto would it be to put a short box camper on a long box?

I have a chance at a good deal on a pop up type camper, that is also very light, but it's from a short box, and I have a standard 8-ft bed. It would be kind of nice to have a storage area for fuel cans in the back, and it's light enough to where I'd still be comfortable trailering behind my truck.

Would there be misalignment of camper mounts? (I have none now)

Ok, this might sound retarded, but that's nothing new from me: How ghetto would it be to put a short box camper on a long box?

I have a chance at a good deal on a pop up type camper, that is also very light, but it's from a short box, and I have a standard 8-ft bed. It would be kind of nice to have a storage area for fuel cans in the back, and it's light enough to where I'd still be comfortable trailering behind my truck.

Would there be misalignment of camper mounts? (I have none now)

if you leave the tailgate on it will give you a nice little back porch:D

Latest posts