• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

BK Tow Rig Build - 7.3 tips

Mine has been awesome its a 99 with 178,000 on it with a deoblo sport set on 85 hp with a 5" exhaust but lately its been giving the surge so I guess I need this whicked wheel. Were do I get it and how hard is it to install?

The 99.5-03 7.3's usually get turbo surge after you install cold air intake and a chip. However some (mine) started it after the cold air intake. Get it under a load and the turbo starts making almost like a rattlesnake sound. Which can destroy a turbo. The wheel eliminates this problem. The only down fall to it is that it drops boost pressure a few pounds. Another way to eliminate it is with a ATS ported housing.

Here is where i bought mine. Install link there as well.
http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-4626-wicked-wheel-94-03-73l-ford-powerstroke-garrett-gtp38-170293.aspx

Hit up Beans Diesel in Woodbury, TN and get one of their 6 pos. chips with custom tuning. Intake, exhaust and you'll be set.

I tried the 2 cycle oil for the first time last week in my 99 F250 4wd with cold air, big exhaust and 315's and mileage went from 13.33 to 14.71 on paper. Same driving pattern, keep my foot out of it in town and trying keep tach under 2k on hwy. Trying it again this week. Thinking about putting a TS chip in soon also. ............ .02$

Atchley said:
Hit up Beans Diesel in Woodbury, TN and get one of their 6 pos. chips with custom tuning. Intake, exhaust and you'll be set.

x2, beans uses ts chips and jonathan has the custom tunes on lock! he also offers lifetime tunning and all his tunes are dyno proven.

Got the Mobile Billboard all fixed up yesterday. Getting ready for that 4.000 mile Road Trip. :woot: :driving:
407778_10100571460959521_7008660_52663417_1971025022_n.jpg

395598_10100571375560661_7008660_52663248_243106628_n.jpg

Big Ass Napa Filter Mod = Done.

Used 4" PVC coupling to make it all work and a hose clamp. Its getting plenty of air now.
Already has the 3" Downpipe and straight exhaust.
Whats next?

jkh533 said:
Elaborate on this please, haven't heard of it?

You get a huge ass filter from napa and a 4-5" hose clamp. Then you go to home depot and get a 4" PVC coupler. You remove your airbox lid and install the filter onto your intake hose using the coupler and hose clamp. The ole 7.3 now gets all the air it needs ;).

Should look like this when finished.
429472_10100588772906241_7008660_52719905_1363767276_n.jpg

If your doing much pulling or thinking about putting a chip on an egt (exghaust gas temp) gage is imperitive on these trucks. I went with Total Diesel Performance for my chip. I looked for a long time and most said that Tony Wildman was the best on 7.3 tunes. I wouldnt go with generic tunes. Get custom tunes that match what upgrades youve done to your truck, makes a big difference. Ive heard nothing but good from Swamps and Beans Diesel.
As others have said changing the oil and filter every 5k and fuel filter at 10 to 15k. The injectors use oil to fire off so clean oil means a bunch. On the front of your engine infront of the fuel filter is the HPOP in the top of it is a 1/4" drive pipe plug. Next time you change tit he oil vaccuum the oil out of there and replace it. Start the engine for a few minutes and repeat a couple more times, this oil is what operates your injectors. It is supposed to mix with the rest of the engine oil but doesnt, you will see how dirty is. Doesnt need to be done every oil change. 200 is nothing on these trucks, my cousin has 560,000 on his. If yours is an auto change the fluid regular.

Fletcher

Just installed a Beans 6 position chip in my truck a couple day ago. Got the Economy, Tow, Hot (100hp), Smoke, Lope and Whisper settings. It has been a lot of fun. 100 hp will give you white knuckles :eat:, Smoke is a lotta fun when passing :afro:'s.......... :****:

ridered3 said:
How did the truck do to KOH and back?

It did great. 70mph 15mpg or a little less pulling the enclosed trailer and never downshifted for any hills. Glad I didnt try to drive the old silverado that far..... :****:

Did a few more mods to the Ford.

4" MBRP straight exhaust.
removed the intake heater.
swapped on some Rancho Shocks from an FX4 as well as a new steering stabilizer
got some new tires 285 Firestone TransForce HTs
Had a rattle in the front end. Replaced sway bar endlinks and its nice and quiet now.

Next on the list.
Change fluid in front and rear diff and tcase.
New aluminum finned rear diff cover. I guess ill run a stock 05-07 diff cover for $50 instead of the mag tec $250 ones....
New poly carrier bearing for the driveshaft.