• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bleeding brake system w/ Cutting Brakes

e4cutler

When I bought my jeep it came with cutting brakes in the center console. Well I'm in the process of changing out the brake calipers and 2 of the caliper mounting brackets. Once I finish that I'll bleed the brakes but I've never done it with cutting brakes being involved. Is there an additional step I need to take since it has cutting brakes?

Bebop said:
CNC procedure :

http://www.cncbrakes.com/maintenance.asp

Worked for me, just had to do it for a long time... And after wheeling some and it started to act funny again, I bled the brakes again.

That looks like a standard brake bleeding procedure. I know how to bleed the brakes with a normal setup but my questions is does that procedure change on my jeep since it has cutting brakes in addition to the foot pedal?

I've had the best success with using a 1/4" line off the bleeder into a cup half full of brake fluid. That way you can sit there and bleed away and not worry about it pulling air back in.

e4cutler said:
That looks like a standard brake bleeding procedure. I know how to bleed the brakes with a normal setup but my questions is does that procedure change on my jeep since it has cutting brakes in addition to the foot pedal?

I have the same set up as you. I did nothing different than "normal" when I replaced my rear calipers. After I was done I grabbed the lever and pulled up a few times and it seemed fine so I went with it. No issues to date and that was in February of this year.

Re:

This method posted by Dustin Webster works very well.
"push down the brake pedal and then push and hold the cutting brake lever.

Purge the air from the caliper.

close the bleeder but continue to hold the cutting brake.

release the pedal but not the cutting brake.

pump the pedal slowly, allowing the cutting brake to return but with hand pressure against it until the pedal pumping has pushed the cutting brake handle back to neutral.

start process all over again.

That is the proper process for a manual bleed with cutting brakes."