• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Block Heaters???

I've got one in the bus (dta360), it heats and circulates... Works awesome and the bus will start in freezing weather without issue and be up to temp in no time... Thinking about putting one in the wifes car and my truck... Not sure what type though, magnetic, radiator hose, dip stick, others...

The bus have a Webasto heater??? Most do....I want to stick one in the Ford, but the heater is effing huge! :redneck:

I dont know what my dodge has but it boils the water and vibrates my grille even!

But man it lights right off and is all warm and fuzzy and frost free. Sure saves on wear and tear.

They draw lot of power tho. Ones like mine draw 5-9 amps and the you have in the bus is most likely larger than that.

Alot of people put them on a timer so they kick on 2 hours before you wake up for work.

Figure ya plug in at 10pm and get up a 6am thats 8 hours VS 2 hours on a timer.

75% savings in power cost.

The ol lady is jealous of my block heater to. :D

I use my remote start. By the time I get out to my pickup the seats are nice and warm.:redneck:

My pickup has a factory installed block heater but I haven't used it yet.

They draw lot of power tho. Ones like mine draw 5-9 amps and the you have in the bus is most likely larger than that.

Alot of people put them on a timer so they kick on 2 hours before you wake up for work.
Most, if not all the ones in buses run off the diesel tank/batteries--self contained and 'off the grid'...:redneck:

X2 on the remote start. Then new glow plugs I just put in also help a lot.

The 7.3 has a about a 900watt heater pulls like 8 amps if your plugs not all blackened

Ford superduty diesel trucks come from the factory with a block heater. It basically screws into the water jacket on the block. It draws around 1000 watts. Ford/International claims you only need it on for 3 hours to pre-heat the block, and thats from temperatures below -10 degrees.

You do the math. 10 cents per kilowatt hour (and 1000 watts is a kilowatt) means your eating a buck a day if you left it plugged in all night (say 7pm when you remember to plug it back in, until 5am when you go to drive it away again). So a heavy duty outdoor timer is the way to go. Make sure your extension cords can handle the long term heavy draw, and that the cords going into the block heater itself are in good shape. I've seen lots of pictures of engine fires from faulty block heater cords.

If I had to aftermarket one in, I would try and find one that fits into a freeze plug location, followed by the radiator hose insert style, followed by the oil pan stick on style in that order.

All that said, for a few bucks more, I'd just get a remote start/alarm system. No cords to remember to plug/unplug! Oh the damage I've seen from driving away with the cord still plugged in!!!

I have the factory one that came with my Duramax.

I use it when it gets below freezing outside. Not because I need it to start the truck, but it sure is nice for a quick warm up time.

Without using the heater the truck doesn't reach operating temp for about 15 minutes. When I do use it I don't have to defrost the windows and the heater blows warm air instantly. It keeps the coolant temp around 170.

I have the factory one that came with my Duramax.

I use it when it gets below freezing outside. Not because I need it to start the truck, but it sure is nice for a quick warm up time.

Without using the heater the truck doesn't reach operating temp for about 15 minutes. When I do use it I don't have to defrost the windows and the heater blows warm air instantly. It keeps the coolant temp around 170.

Are you using a timer or letting it run all night?