• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Body lift?

hwcurtice

Could someone explain, in English, just what a body lift is? I know there are many ways to do a lift, but what are the types and differences?

BTW, it looks like my 2006 Dakoata can only go the body lift route, so after it goes up 3 inches, I still need to get taller tires in order to increase my ground clearance, which would have been handy last week for some reason...

A body lift is a bunch of platic spacers that go between the body and the frame. they essentially lift the body of the truck up off of the frame. so the frame doesn't get any higher from the ground, but the body of the truck gets raised higher... the downside is that it exposes the frame more which some consider ugly (that's a matter of personal opinion)

Could someone explain, in English, just what a body lift is? I know there are many ways to do a lift, but what are the types and differences?

BTW, it looks like my 2006 Dakoata can only go the body lift route, so after it goes up 3 inches, I still need to get taller tires in order to increase my ground clearance, which would have been handy last week for some reason...

It just lifts the body off of the frame. Either replaces or adds to the pucks between your body and the mounting point on the frame. does however have issues if your radiator is mounted to the body you will have to adjust the radiator or maybe just the shroud. shifter and brake lines can also become issues as well as any part that is attached to both the body and the frame. ie. clutch linkage, throttle linkage and so on

There should also be a provision for lowering the radiator a corresponding 3" to still line up with the fan. A body lift will also lower your gas mileage as you have changed the aerodynamics of the truck.

Not that worried about gas mileage, right now. Wish I still had either Yoda or my Cummins for clearance. If gas goes back up to $4, I'll go buy a cheap rice burner to commute with.

Not worried about the frame showing either. Dakota rides like and looks like a car as it is. At least it isn't a unibody. Need to get some better tires for traction and somehow get better clearance without buying a new truck.

I'll have to go and ask the guys at Eastside Custom Truck, and ask them how they do the lift.