• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bolt on Stickers

You are totally trying to screw this whole job up, if he makes anything there is no chance for stickers!!! That's a fail....:mad:

Because a swing out tailgate sucks on the trail when you can have a fold down tailgate. Plus the CJ tailgate says "Jeep" on it and it just looks better to me.

I just finished a CJ tailgate swap on my TJ.

I made a 3/16" strap all the way across the flat spot on top of the tailgate to get toyota pickup latches to set out flush with my corner guards. I threaded the inner hole for the latch and used a cut off bolt into the strap. The outer hole is drilled through the strap and through the tailgate lip with a nut on back. Make a couple of ears for the latches to hook onto and it works pretty good. I just made 1/8" backing plates with nuts tacked onto them for the stock CJ hinges. I was able to fish those up into the factory cut out body holes under there.

FWIW if you decide to look into this I was able to find the latches on some low rider parts website for $1.16 each. So buying new is way cheaper than looking for used ones.

looks good :awesomework:

thanks for the heads up on latches, I haven't decided how I will do mine for sure. I am thinking I will make it lockable from the inside and simple latch on the outside

Why the tailgate swaps?

to match the CJ grill on my TJ, plus having a drop down tail gate is mo bettuh

This logic only works if you don't have a spare tire carrier.

ran one on my CJ for years. even with tire carrier, i'd still rather have a tail gate opposed to swing out door.

Last edited:
I just spent the last 20 minutes going through this and I gotta say awesome job with all the fab work and the progress! Makes me miss my old 85 cj7 for sure! Keep it up man!

time for rear track bar, Antirock, brake lines, e-brake, shock tabs

axle finally centered, pinion angle set

rear sway bar has been an ass ache w no body lift. knocked off for the night. gotta decide, drop tank and cut more or suck it up and install 1/2" of more BL

gonna end up dropping the tank to notch it for the 8.8 diff, will finish the rear sway bar then

add some of Pokey's 1970's Hockey Pucks

got a Rokmen High Clearance Belly Pan :cheer:

not a lot of visible progress this weekend, a lot of time spent making tabs, figuring out brake line routing ect...

Hockey pucks added, so now there's 1" of BL

sway bar mounting tab will be incorporated with spring pad, have a lager hole that will allow for access to top caliper bolt and will clear the brake lines. the one that came from Currie was far from doing any of this on the 8.8.

tune in next week, we may have some mo stick'uhs :redneck:

how he sleeps like this I dunno

Last edited:
sway bar bracket

20140210_201555-1-1_zps9eee74c5.jpg

finished the hard lines so the rear end pretty much buttoned up

here's what I ended up using as far as the brake lines

Stock TJ hard line to "T-connector" one 12" hard line, and one 30" hard line.

...........and a tired puppy

Last edited:

Latest posts