• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Borescopes?

We've got a Matco one at work, very similar but doesn't have the fancy pistol grip with the raised screen; It DOES work nice for lookin' down cylinders..as long as the optic is clean, the res is good enough to see scratches in the cylinder wall!!!:redneck:

We've got a Matco one at work, very similar but doesn't have the fancy pistol grip with the raised screen; It DOES work nice for lookin' down cylinders..as long as the optic is clean, the res is good enough to see scratches in the cylinder wall!!!:redneck:

My big question on it is can I inspect the "whole" combustion chamber?

The one I linked has different mirrors for it to do so but does it work?

I tried to look for a unit from Matco and cannot find one as of yet, any links possibly?

The mirrors work :awesomework:... I've gone into a plug hole just for curiosity's sake after a leakdown test confirmed a burnt valve, and I could see the burnt valve!... I will see what I can find for a link.:cool:

This is what we've got at work...
mvs3610ww.jpg

The mirrors work :awesomework:... I've gone into a plug hole just for curiosity's sake after a leakdown test confirmed a burnt valve, and I could see the burnt valve!... I will see what I can find for a link.:cool:

Cool!

I found the link for the snap-on unit http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=21604&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog Price seems decent for the unit.

I will try to search some more.

The project I have now is a car that dropped a valve or two in a cylinder and I was curious if I would be able to use these to check to see if the piston is still good. The unit could save me a lot of time on a teardown as if the piston is bad it will be cheaper to go wrecking yard.

Cool tools!! love/hate relationship for me, I love what they do/ hate what they cost:redneck:

Any other uses you have seen?

Trying to justify the purchase:booo:
Yup...
I got one I just thought of, Ring and Pinion check on a 3rd member axle.
This.... (old news there TP!!!:haha:) and checking to make sure all the schrapnel is out of a cylinder after doing a 5.4L Triton plug thread repair....looking under the intakes of newer engine designs that have an open valley, looking for oil/coolant leaks...dude, you'd be amazed how often you find yourself picking up this tool to look at something!:redneck:

I got one I just thought of, Ring and Pinion check on a 3rd member axle.

I don't think I have ever had a rig come to my shop for R&P repair that there was a doubt that it was bad.

Good idea though!

I don't think the camera could get in past the carrier though:scratchhead: could be wrong :redneck:

Last edited:
I have a Rigid brand one that I use in my work all the time (remodeling) has been a dependable unit. I can see where the little add ons (magnet mirrors and such) would be handy for a mechanic though.,

I have a Rigid brand one that I use in my work all the time (remodeling) has been a dependable unit. I can see where the little add ons (magnet mirrors and such) would be handy for a mechanic though.,

How is the picture quality? Quality is my biggest concern.:awesomework:

Do you have the large 17mm head or small 9.5mm head?

How is the picture quality? Quality is my biggest concern.:awesomework:

Do you have the large 17mm head or small 9.5mm head?

Its ok if you keep the backlight down (room your in) Mine is the 17mm and is a couple of years old. Didnt come with all of the goodies the new ones do (mirrors,hooks, magnets)

we use various one at work and the only thing i would really consider is ZOOM feature. sometimes we see something and we cant tell what it is as we cant zoom back the scale to see it in perspective to other things....

we use various one at work and the only thing i would really consider is ZOOM feature. sometimes we see something and we cant tell what it is as we cant zoom back the scale to see it in perspective to other things....

Zoom out or zoom in?

This http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...D25X-_-202042894&locStoreNum=4745&marketID=44 one has zoom, but it looks like zoom in and not out. I believe you are talking about zoom out.

Also anyplace local that may have these? Borescopes that is not any specific brand.

hey, maybe you could let HOT Karl borrow the one you do get, to see if the shitter hole is ready for a steak dinner?:haha::haha::haha: