• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bouldering?

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
who here does it? Any suggestions to indoor places? A coworker suggested Vertical World. Think I might go there...maybe tomorrow with the GF...?:eeek: Anyone do it? Or rockclimb? I want to try both, i'm just more drawn to bouldering as it's close to the ground...:D :haha: Although if i tried the high stuff I might get over my wussyness (boxxerace knows i'm afraid of the high stuff:redneck: )

I'll take you climbing at Index. Start you off on a very easy climb, and bring you to your limit , then a little beyond. Do ou have shoes?

Traditional climbing, first climb will be called "great northern". It's two short pitches. Maybe 200 feet, I think it's 5.6. A very straight forward easy climb. after that I'll have you belay me up a short harder climb called "Model Worker" 5.11.a, set up a top rope, and let you thrash and dangle till your toast.

For bouldering I like the old UW outdoor climbing rock. It has crack climbing, and most of Washington climbing is crack climbing.

Traditional climbing, first climb will be called "great northern". It's two short pitches. Maybe 200 feet, I think it's 5.6. A very straight forward easy climb. after that I'll have you belay me up a short harder climb called "Model Worker" 5.11.a, set up a top rope, and let you thrash and dangle till your toast.

For bouldering I like the old UW outdoor climbing rock. It has crack climbing, and most of Washington climbing is crack climbing.

I'd like to meet up sometime. I have shoes and a little expereince mostly friction though.

Maybe we can meet for a Thurs. night UW climb one of these times eh?

That could work....what size feet you have...between my brother and I we have a dozen of old shoes.

Bring a roll of sports tape, or your hands will be hamburger.

Anyone is welcome to come. I enjoy showing those that that dont know , and enjoy someone challenging me to push myself.

I have not had my shoes on for over 5 years, until 2 weeks ago. Being 40 with aches and pains and being 40 pounds heavier than my prime kinda sucks, but the techinque is still there:awesomework:

Maybe we can meet for a Thurs. night UW climb one of these times eh?

a thurs. night rock crawl might be fun! I got to see about renting some shoes or something... I heard there is a second hand, or sohud I say FOOT, AR AR AR,:redneck: store in seattle that sells used harness and shoes and stuff...:eeek:

I'm pretty new to climbing, and I haven't tried bouldering, although I think it looks like fun, and I think I could find some fun in The OM, boulders are everywhere!

In my humble opinion, unexperienced and girly as it may be, I don't know if starting out on a 200' climb is the best intro to climbing! Why not just rappel off the Index Wall!! (I'm poking at ya, a little, Robin!)

Bouldering is "cool", and you don't go high, but you have no ropes!! And I see tons of goof-balls dragging their crash pads out to the rocks to get their "cool" on bouldering. I think rock climbing is a better start, honestly, cause you're tied in and you can focus on your technique rather than worrying about the 15' drop you're about to take....(even with crash pads, it's still a big drop if you land wrong!)

That said, I want to try bouldering, too. But you can learn a lot from climbing small, moderate pitches (5.11a! Jezus, he's new, Breijer, play nice!:redneck: You're twubble!)

Bouldering? :cool: Climbing with ropes?? :cool: :cool:

a thurs. night rock crawl might be fun! I got to see about renting some shoes or something... I heard there is a second hand, or sohud I say FOOT, AR AR AR,:redneck: store in seattle that sells used harness and shoes and stuff...:eeek:

Yeah, it's called Second Ascent. That's where I got my shoes......although REI rents them, and they're pretty cheap if you're a member.... But you can find some used shoes for pretty cheap at Second Ascent.

I'm pretty new to climbing, and I haven't tried bouldering, although I think it looks like fun, and I think I could find some fun in The OM, boulders are everywhere!

In my humble opinion, unexperienced and girly as it may be, I don't know if starting out on a 200' climb is the best intro to climbing! Why not just rappel off the Index Wall!! (I'm poking at ya, a little, Robin!)

Bouldering is "cool", and you don't go high, but you have no ropes!! And I see tons of goof-balls dragging their crash pads out to the rocks to get their "cool" on bouldering. I think rock climbing is a better start, honestly, cause you're tied in and you can focus on your technique rather than worrying about the 15' drop you're about to take....(even with crash pads, it's still a big drop if you land wrong!)

That said, I want to try bouldering, too. But you can learn a lot from climbing small, moderate pitches (5.11a! Jezus, he's new, Breijer, play nice!:redneck: You're twubble!)

Bouldering? :cool: Climbing with ropes?? :cool: :cool:

Agreed, in my girly sense, 200ft is a bit much right out of the chute:redneck: That's why I was thinking indoor, "controlled" bouldering might be the thing, i'm just not sure i'll ever get 100% into traditional climbing as much as i would bouldering.:awesomework:

I'm not worried about the 15ft fall....mainly cus i wouldn't be that high to start!:redneck: :haha:

Yeah, it's called Second Ascent. That's where I got my shoes......although REI rents them, and they're pretty cheap if you're a member.... But you can find some used shoes for pretty cheap at Second Ascent.

AHH thank you, saves me a trip across the office! :redneck: Ya, i be a member at the REI, might have to check them out too...

When we were up there on Sunday, there was a dude just leaving packing his crash pads out. I'm sure there's some good stuff up there to boulder.

Yeah, I keep trying to get up there while "it's still nice"--- I think I have about 15 more minutes until the perma-rain sets in.... :booo: then the boulders won't "resurface" for fun til July... :;

When we were up there on Sunday, there was a dude just leaving packing his crash pads out. I'm sure there's some good stuff up there to boulder.

Any of you ever toyed around at Icicle Creek? (ala: leavenworth area) Fun fun bouldering and climbing!

Agreed, in my girly sense, 200ft is a bit much right out of the chute:redneck: That's why I was thinking indoor, "controlled" bouldering might be the thing, i'm just not sure i'll ever get 100% into traditional climbing as much as i would bouldering.:awesomework:

I'm not worried about the 15ft fall....mainly cus i wouldn't be that high to start!:redneck: :haha:

Great Northern at Index is the climb I take all new people on. It's super easy. Helf the people I have taken were on normal sneakers.

Being 100' or 4000' up makes no difference. Both falls will kill you. Since your roped up, there is no danger.

Now bouldering get one injured quick, a fall from 8'-10' can break ****.

Being roped up is safe.