• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brakes kicking my a** (long)

timberghost72

So heres the situation. I've got a 93 wrangler stock brake system. I put on new front calipers and pads also Pro Comp extended brake lines a while ago. Brakes felt fair. Was wheeling last month and lost traction and rolled backwards down hill and no brakes. I checked out my brake system and replace brake shoes and cylinders in the rear. bled brakes out. Now brakes do not work well. Low pedal. feels like they are out of adjustment. Made sure everything was good in rear. I also replaced master cylinder and combination valve trying to fix it. To make a long story a little longer, in reverse rear brakes are inop. Forward they lightly work. I jacked up the rear and put into drive and hit the brakes and the tires still are turning. I've bled out extensively. No air. Also the master cylinder push rod seems to be adjusted ok. The only thing I found was the wheel cylinder pistons retract into the cylinder bore and have about 1-2 mm gap between the shoes. I've check parts again with napa and they're correct #s. Seems that this could cause the problem but how to fix. Can anyone help? Sorry so long.

So, if you have one of the rear drums removed, and you gently press the brake pedal, do the shoes move? How much room is there between the shoes and the drum when you put the drum on?

sounds like your rear brakes could be out of adjustment.....

also, you might want to make sure that the correct adjuster is on the correct side... if they are on the wrong side, they will self adjust looser instead of staying in adjustment.

you could have other issues as well, but I would look into those rear brakes, then look into the fronts as well... make sure that you don't have any calipers that are not binding or anything, because you should still be able to stop and hold your vehicle if the front discs or working correctly.....

Ok this is simple..

I'm willing to bet you have something upside down. Typically when people do their own brakes on wranglers they put the calipers on upside-down. Meaning they have the left and right on the wrong sides. The bleader screw/valve should be on top of the caliper same with the wheel cylinders.

Go back and double check. I bet you have something wrong. And if thats the case you will never get it bled or the air out of the system until corrected. :awesomework:

To make a long story a little longer, in reverse rear brakes are inop. Forward they lightly work.

This isn't surprising... Brake systems are designed and set-up with more force being applied where the weight is transferring to (normal conditions the front of the vehicle) ... and from what you've described, and the amount of braking force you have at hand, you "shouldn't" be able to stop going backwards... You have no braking force being applied where the weight is being transfered...