• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Breaking Birfields every wheelin trip!! Need help!!

Ed Bister

How much stronger are the older 27 spline Bobby long axles then stock?

Has anyone had good or bad luck with them? Hopfully I will be picking some up tomorrow and i'm going to reguardless but I wanted to hear what everyone thinks of them and how well they work compared to the stockers. I have been breaking stockers every wheelin trip since my 4.7 transfercase upgrade and i'm running detroits front and rear with 36" sx swampers. Jay Luke told me about steering stops if there not ajusted correctly or if the crushed in on the housing that could cause serious problems but my pig barley turns as it is and i don't think that is the problem.......Any advice?:beer:

Last edited:
You've got low t case gears, a detroit locker and 36's yet you are confused as to why the stock birfs are breaking?? :haha:

Get some 27 spline CroMo birfs from bobbie and run them on stock inners. That'll last a long time, the stock inners are reasonably tough.

x2...

Just get some 30 spline Bobby stuff w/ some hub gears and quit worrying about them..

do you guys have a money tree growing in your back yard with say 600 on it i can come pick....LOL:haha:!! 30 spline longs are bad ass but i'm a new dad with more bills then i care to talk about and I was wondering how the 27 spline ones will hold up compared to stockers.....and Jayluke went through 3 pairs of 30 spline longs before he found out his steering stops were the reason he was breaking the unbreakable axles.

Buy those 27 splinerz so they break so you have to buy some 30 splinerz. Money well spent eh

do you guys have a money tree growing in your back yard with say 600 on it i can come pick....LOL:haha:!! 30 spline longs are bad ass but i'm a new dad with more bills then i care to talk about and I was wondering how the 27 spline ones will hold up compared to stockers.....and Jayluke went through 3 pairs of 30 spline longs before he found out his steering stops were the reason he was breaking the unbreakable axles.

30 spline longs will outsteer a leaf spring, knuckle or stops.

You can throw away the stops on an axle with 30 spliners. You can actually get a few degrees extra by grinding out a notch in the felt seal rings, but it does no good unless you are on links.

Leafs will always be the limit on a leaf sprung rig.:beer:

broke one stock birf and almost ****ed up a housing bought the 30 splines asap 30splines are cheeper than a new housing and the time spent fixing them just save till ya have the cash it took me some time buts its worth it one les worry while on the trail and thats is always a nice thing

Last edited:
Jason(jayluke) blew up his 30s cause he was over steering. If he had steering stops then it wouldnt have happened. Has nothing to do with the birf. Now you are gonna blow up stock birfs all the time with the set up you have. Save your money and buy some longs. Its never fun to buy something twice, just do it right the first time

As Long as your inners hold and you dont get into to much of a bind you can run the 27 longs but you will have to go to 30s sometime. I just watched someone snap both inner shafts then I took the same line with my 30s and no probs at all.

Jason(jayluke) blew up his 30s cause he was over steering. If he had steering stops then it wouldnt have happened. Has nothing to do with the birf. Now you are gonna blow up stock birfs all the time with the set up you have. Save your money and buy some longs. Its never fun to buy something twice, just do it right the first time

Cant over steer the new 30 spliners from long field. Those knuckles and housiong wont let that happen.

yeah, im sure he wished he had the newer ones. The older ones didnt turn 40degrees though and he lost 3 of the cages

What b/s wheel or wheel spacers is he running?

he has 3 inch wheel spacers and a deep ass rims! not sure how deep but he has got that thing as wide as he can go I think.:awesomework:

I know I should buy the 30 spliners but I wanna wheel Reiter so bad this weekend and dont have the cash to pick them up yet :mad: this is a tough one! What to do what to do.:booo: and i really dont want to wreck my housing....i have already seen some good nicks in it from the last 2 times.....:booo:

Last edited:
he has 3 inch wheel spacers and a deep ass rims! not sure how deep but he has got that thing as wide as he can go I think.:awesomework:

I know I should buy the 30 spliners but I wanna wheel Reiter so bad this weekend and dont have the cash to pick them up yet :mad: this is a tough one! What to do what to do.:booo: and i really dont want to wreck my housing....i have already seen some good nicks in it from the last 2 times.....:booo:

Either go beat your junk..Or stay home and bitch about not being up there.. Pretty simple man!!:awesomework:

Iam sure that Reiter is going to become a slaughter house for a few rigs this coming weekend...:haha: