• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

breaks not holding???

outhouse

breaks on my buggy not holding in low range. i saw the posts on that build up that clark put up. i have cnc pedals with 1 1/16th bore and a 14in pedal. i adjusted it so the pedal pushed in more and that didnt help. do i need a longer pedal for a better ratio or could the bore be to big? it holds in high rang.

what torque convertor are running?

Im runnung a 2200-2600 convertor with my 4.3 th350 ,5.44 tcase and 4:88 gears

also what kinda of brake lines do you have and are you sure you got all the air out of the system?

what torque convertor are running?

Im running a 2200-2600 convertor with my 4.3 th350 ,5.44 tcase and 4:88 gears

my torque covertor is a stock stall for a th350, im running a 4.3,th350,4.3:1, and 5.13 gears. im not positive what the stock stall is.

what kind of calipers are you using?

the fronts are stock dodge d60 calipers and the rears are 1/2 tone chevy calipers.

also what kinda of brake lines do you have and are you sure you got all the air out of the system?

the brake lines are i think 3/16 hard line from napa. and some soft lines from green shields, and im pretty confident that all the air is out. i used a vacuum bleeder and then bleed after that a few times on each corner to make shur

Last edited:
Can you hold it in low if you press as hard as you can? How fast can you stop under normal driving, from say 25mph to 0?

Can you hold it in low if you press as hard as you can? How fast can you stop under normal driving, from say 25mph to 0?

if i press as hard as i can it will slow it down slowly then kill the motor, that would seem more on the torque convertor side rite? im putting a different 4.3 in it tomarrow night cus the cams flat so i think ill get a higher stall in it while the motors out. but from 25 th 0 in hight rang probly about 10 to 15 feet guessing. it stops really good if you put it in N and smash the breaks.

Last edited:
I'm not very knowledgeable about converters or stall speeds, but if it dies from you holding the brakes at a stop, i'm guessing your stall speed is too low. Sounds like the brakes work good, it's more the converter pushing through. It doesn't sound like a brake problem to me.

Hopefully someone who knows more on the subject can chime in and give their $.02 :beer:

I'm not very knowledgeable about converters or stall speeds, but if it dies from you holding the brakes at a stop, i'm guessing your stall speed is too low. Sounds like the brakes work good, it's more the converter pushing through. It doesn't sound like a brake problem to me.

Hopefully someone who knows more on the subject can chime in and give their $.02 :beer:

if you step on the brake and it kills the engine.. ya, i'd guess its your torque converter.

If it stops well in high range the issue isn't your brakes it's too low of a stall in the converter.

Also if running a vacuum booster a flat cam will privide little suction to boost the brakes.

if i press as hard as i can it will slow it down slowly then kill the motor, that would seem more on the torque convertor side rite? im putting a different 4.3 in it tomarrow night cus the cams flat so i think ill get a higher stall in it while the motors out. but from 25 th 0 in hight rang probly about 10 to 15 feet guessing. it stops really good if you put it in N and smash the breaks.

the reason I asked about brake lines is, when running manual brakes its better to run a stiffer brake line like a braided line not a rubber line that can flex. I would guess converter, and I have a converter for sale if you want pm me.

Brake fluid volume
Master cylinder bore
resedual valve
right size brake lines for axles/ master cylinder to push enough volume to actuate calipers
adjustment on push rod

Check and study what ur running can't use toyota master cylinder to run d60 for example won't work brakes can be a bitch i just got mine dialed in thanks to a few tips from here start dreaming about it fuwkin brain farts.Thanks SS

the reason I asked about brake lines is, when running manual brakes its better to run a stiffer brake line like a braided line not a rubber line that can flex. I would guess converter, and I have a converter for sale if you want pm me.

thanks i ordered a 1800 stall from lee myles yesterday, they sayed thats the stall that all the s&n cars ran so im going to give it a shot, and ya im running rubber lines. if the convertor doesent work ill try the braided lines. what stall do you have?

kool thanks for the input im trying a higher stall.

If it stops well in high range the issue isn't your brakes it's too low of a stall in the converter.

Also if running a vacuum booster a flat cam will privide little suction to boost the brakes.

no i got manual brakes. thanks for every ones input.

so i put the 1800 stall in it and it helped a lot but i think the fuel pump isnt working up to par. it bogs down under a load and wont rev quick, same as the other motor. does anyone have and other input for it running like crap?

so i put the 1800 stall in it and it helped a lot but i think the fuel pump isnt working up to par. it bogs down under a load and wont rev quick, same as the other motor. does anyone have and other input for it running like crap?

If that stall is not enough I have an art car 2500 stall it is almost new, same one that James ran in his last buggy that chris has now with a 4.3l . Lets see pics of this buggy you just finished.:D