• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brightest Street Legal Headlights?

ecsong187

i have a 85 k5 and cant see worth crap at night. so i was wondering what are the brightest street legal headlights you guys know of?
thanks
edwin song

Isn't there a WAC or RCW stating 55/65W? Just make sure you have them aimed properly and they're not blue, nobody will notice.

My suggestion: get or make a new headlight harness that runs your lights directly off the battery with a relay from your old headlight harness/switch, then upgrade your old sealed beams to H4 conversion housings (they swap right in place of your sealed beams but accept a standard H4 bulb) and get some H4 Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. I did this with my old XJ and it was freakin' awesome how much better the light was at night.

Check on eBay for the H4 conversion housings, usually you can get some for under 50 for the pair with some cheesy blue bulbs. Open the package on these "HID blah blah bullshit" bulbs, smash and throw the pieces away... they're just standard bulbs with blue tint and will suck worse than what you have now. Replace with Silverstars or some other higher wattage bulb.

Also, there's probably somebody on eBay making a plug-n-play upgraded harness for your rig too I would imagine.

My suggestion: get or make a new headlight harness that runs your lights directly off the battery with a relay from your old headlight harness/switch, then upgrade your old sealed beams to H4 conversion housings (they swap right in place of your sealed beams but accept a standard H4 bulb) and get some H4 Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. I did this with my old XJ and it was freakin' awesome how much better the light was at night.

Check on eBay for the H4 conversion housings, usually you can get some for under 50 for the pair with some cheesy blue bulbs. Open the package on these "HID blah blah bullshit" bulbs, smash and throw the pieces away... they're just standard bulbs with blue tint and will suck worse than what you have now. Replace with Silverstars or some other higher wattage bulb.

Also, there's probably somebody on eBay making a plug-n-play upgraded harness for your rig too I would imagine.

what he said - swapping the harnesses to run right off the battery makes a huge difference itself.

Is it your vision or your lights that make it hard to see at night?

Would blinding other driver's solve your problem?

its probably a mix of bad vision, but driving around at 4am to get to work it doesnt matter because no one is driving around than.:flipoff:
thanks
edwin song

I like Silverstars, but hate the bulb life. Ive heard nothing but bad things about it, but ended up getting some for a 4Runner myself. They BOTH burnt out after only three months, no wheeling, just street driving. Ive gone through about three in my bike now too. I hope the Silverstar Ultra has a better life. Oh, and before anyone asks, yes, I know not to touch the bulb.

Heres an email response from them about it

Thank you for your inquiry, and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience the failure of these SilverStars may have caused you. Due to the performance of the SilverStar, it does have the shortest life of any of our product upgrades. The shorter life span is directly related to the performance nature of the lamps. The blue absorption coating on the glass contributes to the crisp white light emitted, but also traps heat inside the capsule, causing the filament to burn out more quickly, thus decreasing the life. As with most high performance products, there is a trade-off between the higher performance and the life hours, unfortunately. The SilverStar product works harder (not burns hotter, however) to give the whiter, brighter light and this impacts the life hours. The life expectancy of a SilverStar halogen light source is dependent on the driver's use of the lights, which vary by season, time of day and number of miles driven. We estimate the SilverStar halogen light! s to have a life span of up to one year under average driving conditions. The life of the SilverStar is further decreased if being used in a day-time running light application.

~T.J.

I like Silverstars, but hate the bulb life. Ive heard nothing but bad things about it, but ended up getting some for a 4Runner myself. They BOTH burnt out after only three months, no wheeling, just street driving. Ive gone through about three in my bike now too. I hope the Silverstar Ultra has a better life. Oh, and before anyone asks, yes, I know not to touch the bulb.

Heres an email response from them about it

~T.J.

Same here...the silverstars burned out in 3 months!:looser:
Sylvania extravisions have good light and last a long time.

I use hella 7" rounds in my cruiser with 110/60 but aim them down. They have that abrupt cutoff type line in the middle so if you aim them down no one gets bothered by them...till you turn on the brights:D

I use hella 7" rounds in my cruiser with 110/60 but aim them down. They have that abrupt cutoff type line in the middle so if you aim them down no one gets bothered by them...till you turn on the brights:D
Yup, you can get away with a lot of wattage with the H4's if you aim them right. I would say our 100 watt low beams are a fair bit easier on oncoming traffic than a typical stock 50 watter.

High beams OTOH... Uh, sorry about your retinas dude :haha:

Actually, now that you mention it... I do have to say the Silverstars didn't last very long. I had some in my ricer before I bought my XJ and I think I went through two pairs in the 8 months or so that I had them in. :(

bulbs and wattage aside, i really like the euro-pattern lenses. even with a generic bulb I think the light pattern is much nicer. on lo beam it's almost as good as a fog light and the high beams are very tightly focused compared to DOT spec lenses. i just use whatever cheapy bulbs i can find at the lower wattages. technically i don't think they're legal. these are popular with the rallye guys. i love 'em offroad; on night runs up on shoestring i've had good visibility with no assistance from fogs or driving lights. fwiw ...

As hard as it is to admit, buy APC's lights. When i was in school working at Schmucks I ran a set of SilverStars in my Ranger. One went out in less then a month, so I bought a set of the APC's because they looked like the same bulb. Couldnt tell a difference between them. Eventaully the other SilverStar gave up the ghost and I swapped in the second APC. The truck ran the same APC's for over a year before it got rear-ended and totalled.

IMO APC's same light quality of SilverStars but only $25 for the set instead of $50.

Isn't there a WAC or RCW stating 55/65W? Just make sure you have them aimed properly and they're not blue, nobody will notice.

Do you think a cop is going to know the difference? Some of the new euro imports have lights that are damn bright and I'm sure there not getting harassed!

And how do you know or even care about a head light law just wondering

Wagner's TruView are pretty decent. Mine have lasted 2 years so far (H6054TV) but I want to get the Hella's with the rear focus and put upgraded H4s in. (I bought a pair of 55/85 bulbs for my other truck from lightbulb warehouse but I don't think they are around anymore)