• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

broke the trail gear 4.7 input

What axle ratio are you guys running that are breaking input/output shafts? Just curious. I have never broken any tcases just cracked 2 30 spline longs and 1 r&p in the rear on 8 years. 6 years of driving to and from the trails( including to tellico and back to bama several times ) . I was wondering if there is a underlined problem elsewhere,(ruling out anything bigger than a 22r) or just quality of material of some of the newer parts. Not disputing what you guys are saying about the front case in high, but from my experience I just haven't seen it round here enuf to say either way.

Higher gears in the axles puts more stress on the cases. I ran stock duals and yukon treated 529s and had no case problems. Buddy or mine had stock gears and ultimate duals. Front case low back high would blow it. I think he blew a case one time too. We ran 39.5s too.

Me and by buddy mike both run 4.10s (because that's what the factory hi pinion diffs that we have are).

We did have mike's truck setup with 5.29s, but after 3-4 years the front broke the center pin (4 cyl) and ring gear, and the rear ring had some chipped teeth (and both rear axles were twisted to ****).

We put 4.10s f/r with a hi pinion front, and chromo rear axles, then he started busting tcase parts.

So far with the built tcases, 4.10s, and 36s, he has been (drivetrain) breakage free for 2 years.

I ran a 23 spline 4.7 rear case and always ran gravel roads in front low. Never hit any obstacles without rear case in low or double low. If 4.7 was too much, I always grabbed 2nd gear. It rarely was though...haha. I ran 5:29's for the longest time and broke 6 sets of ring and pinions and a center pin or two. I switched to FJ62 axles with 9.5" ring gears and stock 4:10's and never had an issue but broke a rear output then. Didn't run that setup but about 5 rides before I sold it though. Basically, just keep the rear in low and you should have much better luck.