• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brothers?!

boxboy

can I be your friend...
A couple weeks ago my brother was out snow wheeling in his 79 Chevy shortbox Just doing hot laps in his back yard in a couple feet of snow and he just happens to scatter the auburn and ring&pinion in his 12-bolt. Well I found him a 14-bolt with 3.73 and a limited slip and a matching D44 to replace the 3.43(?).

We dropped the old Axle out and here is where the fun began spring paddies, shock mounts, pinion yoke, driveline length, wheel studs, e-brake cables and brake hydro lines all needed to be addressed.

I went to work on relocating the spring pads and my brother went to work on the brake. Well as I was working on the brake issues I found the diff cover to be just paper thin they spared no expense on building this 14-bolt diff cover and I mean no expense thin, so I went ahead an built him a little protection for the ring gear. We get the brakes and spring pads and all the other not needed brackets cut off so the axle is ready to bolt... Damn the axle tube is 1/2 wider we need new u-bolt first road trip to Oly4x4 for some new u-bolts and pads Oly had new u-bolts and some rust old pads we head back home we get the axle bolted in and set the pinion angle and get the new drive line length so we run back out you see what we can find from pull-a-part we find a 3 inch shorter driveline but rear u-joint is a 1310 and we need a 1430 back to Napa we find mixed size u-joint :cool:back to the garage we bolt it all up then go to put the tires on the lug bolts only go on about 2 turns and stop.... hmmm what the hell we find out the lug bolts are metric 14mm x 1.50 run back to Napa back to the garage; rear is back on it's tires :awesomework: I also went ahead and built a anti-rap bar.

The front axle was less eventful except for the drag link the studs on the old axle where 1/2 and the studs on the new axle where 5/8 so back to Monroe and no one had and cones so back to the garage I checked through all my boxes of crap and we lucked out and I had a set of 5/8 cones.

Some place a long the way we stopped in at todai for some sushi MMMMM.

Last edited:
Im not an expert but that dont look like a 14bolt to me.

Last edited:
Im not an expert but that dont look like a 14bolt to me.

I am told this is a new style 14-bolt which no longer has the front removable pinion carrier like the older ones but it has the same brakes as the 12-bolt and it is much bigger with 6 lug studs so it should do the job it was built to do.

That is a 6 lug semi-floating 14 bolt. :awesomework:

See that's the guy that told me it was a 14-bolt I think for a piece of shiat farm equipment to drive around Curlew it will work out quite nicely:redneck:

:haha: it looks so small with out the brake drums on it, i had to look twice before i believed it:haha: nice trac bar by the way, trac bars are the **** for leaf spring wrap

Brother showed up again

We picked up some parts last week to stengthen the front end... among the parts listed below I also replaced all the upper and lower ball joints all the inner, outer, diff seals and needle bearings then cleaned and regreased everything...

Longfield D44 u-joints Thanks Bobby for the great price! :awesomework:
Spartan lunchbox
Chromo shafts

Last edited:
So we went out for a quick test run out at Reiter before Jim had to head home

The Spartan lunchbox worked well but he was getting a little nervous every time he heard the loud bang every time he made a sharp turn left or right something he will need to get use too:haha:

He can drive up on stuff he was unable to drive on before (he was even a little scared of what I was spotting him up:fawkdancesmiley::haha:) but we found some clearance issues with the 35" tires so next time he drives over I will pull out the plasma or sawsall or both and do some clearancing.

Last edited: