• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Budget S10 build: Senior Project

Well I got one of those offset u joints for the front and took the truck out and it didn't break for the first time, I also didn't go as hard because I was by myself just out shooting, not actually wheeling but I think that might have fixed it so I'm happy. It does give me bad vibes at about 40 so now I actually have to take it out when I'm driving, which tells me I have the actual shaft pretty centered

Well the thing is its only my daily driver and a weekend warrior, I don't wheel it hard very weekend like you guys might, so maybe it'll hold up? I'm hoping to upgrade axles soon enough when I can get enough money so I don't know. Should I swap the front axle first or the rear? The gm 7.5 is holding up in the rear and the angle isn't too bad so I ll probably go with the front first then. But I don't wanna change gears until I know I'm sticking with whatever axles i have and then I can try and get a locker for the rear. I've got the highschool budget blues.

so some dumbass rear ended me and tore my axle all apart so now i figured i might as well upgrade while its out. i found a hp 44 and a nine inch out of 77 f150 for cheap and there 65 inches wide and i don't wanna shorten them so i was wondering if i could find wheels with a lot of backspace to try and makeup for it, is this an ok way to go? would i still be able to run 15in wheels with those drums and front calipers? thanks

you should be ok with a different offset wheel. something like a 5in b/s should be fine. look into newer truck takeoffs like dodge or fords with 5 lug. they usually have a 5in b/s or better. rig looks nice but did the wreck hit the body at all? you got exactly the axles I wouldve recommended. You might not need to go to a much deeper offset.

Thanks, but he pretty much slid right underneath the back left corner and tagged the wheel broke the shaft off and left me sittin on three tires so only the bedside got a little mangled. Right now the tires stick out about 5 inches and those are stock axles so my wheels must have almost nothin for backspace

Quick question. Would an early f100 d44 hp/ 9in be an ok combo? The 9 inch is 61 inches wide but the 44 has drum brakes. I really want a high pinion so I can lift the truck a few more inches and take the body lift out. Thank

So the insurance company finally figured it all out so i was able to start working on it again.
This is the rear axle that got tagged, it got messed up haha

the shaft actually snapped

so i tore it all apart to get ready to put it back together

I bought the fullsize f150 axles and cleaned em all up and we spent the weekend puttin 5.40s in them. They were 3.50's and the carrier break for the 44 is 373 so i bought a spool instead of buying another carrier. the rear is gonna stay open until i can put a locker in it.
I was thinking about doing chev 63s in the rear since the s10 springs bent in the wreck,to get a little more flex and save some cash, the only thing i'm worried about is they aren't gonna have enough lift to match the front.

for the front i've got explorer springs but they seem a little soft as they go flat and the main leaf is bending around the second leaf so i bought some f150 springs that have a capacity of 1700 instead of 1250 so that should help. I'm also gonna move the front shackles from the rear of the spring to the front hanger like the jeeps are because i don't like the ground clearance of the shackles and the leaf angle is kind of extreme, so thats the plan as of now

well i just went with s10 springs in the rear so i've got the 9inch sitting back there bolted up ready to be welded in, now its all down to the front.

my hanger is setup for a 2.5in spring but the f150 springs i got are 3 inch so instead of redoing my hanger i made some 2.5 to 3 inch shackles. and instead of putting the shackle in the rear like i had it before i'm putting it in the front just to see if i like it
better, before the ground clearance wasn't all that great.

I should have it rolling by tomorrow morning if not tonight.

well i got it all together so we took it out too reiter for a shakedown run while you guys were all at prison break haha. had the place to ourselfs except for a toyota that came through after we finished.
It did a whole hell of a lot better than i expected, the main trail was some good seat time to figure out how it was gonna drive, but the beginning and end of the connector trail gave me some issues cause a my way to long wheel base, it high centered and had to winch over the exit.
One complaint though is the trash... we picked up an inner fender well, and a garbage bag full of other crap, and to my understanding this is the reason i never got to drive at the old reiter, just sayin.
but yeah it was a good time and got some good video

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cYJygfzmsco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>