• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Build or Buy

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
I think I had a post like this before, but i am putting down a more narrowed swath of options (I hope) I want to do a setup similar to the AX10 but a 2.2 comp/trail rig setup...

Do you guys suggest starting with a ax10 base and going form there? Or starting from scratch bit by bit, buy a frame, links, etc....:eeek:

I am gonna start forming a parts list in this thread for a build I think.:corn:

Chassis - RCP Crawlers BlackJack 2.2 Chassis by SinCityRc (or similar)
Axles - AX-10s
Links -
Shocks -
Tires - Rock Stompers 2.2 Tires
Body -
Radio - Traxxas TQ3 Transmitter With Reciever
Servo -
Motor -
Battery -

Last edited:
If you're going to build a comp rig....make your own chassis. They are EASY to make. Aftermarket chassis' are way overpriced for what you are getting, especially tubers. You can also make all your own links using aluminum tubing from Ace hardware and T-Maxx heims....

Good axle and trans to use are Axial. Inexpensive, durable and good parts support.

I recently bought the AX10 kit but used a scale chassis for it....and am building a 2.2 comp style rig with the original AX10 chassis with my own links.

Going with the AX10 kit isn't a bad way to go though....as all the hardware when building from scratch can add up quickly. If you can't make many parts yourself (which is pretty easy), buy a kit.

Be sure to post up progess and ask questions, there's quite a few guys that know this stuff well. And there's more than one way to build one.:D

Last edited:
What do you think of getting TLT axles, with a pre-fabbed chassis to start? (I dont want to be making my own chassis, i want to just buy one first time, then figure out the phsyics behind chassis building later... But I want 2.2 tires. i don't know what electrical stuff i would need, I can figure out the mechanical side, i just dont know anything about the electrical.

To give an idea of what i am after, I want to build something like the blue one or possible the orange one, something that looks sort of stock, but has a more modified suspension and maybe the option to use it at a comp or something... I'm kinda torn as to whether or not i want to try to compete or not, and no, i dont want a full on comp rig...

aaj.sized.jpg

It is not possible to have a comp/trail rig that will perform well at both and fit the look you are after.They are 2 different types of vehicles(frames, tires, link geometry, physical appearance etc.....)

Build one or the other,or both and you will be much happier.

It is not possible to have a comp/trail rig that will perform well at both and fit the look you are after.They are 2 different types of vehicles(frames, tires, link geometry, physical appearance etc.....)

Build one or the other,or both and you will be much happier.

I can contest--- I tried it---it don't work so swell :haha:

It's a fair deal, but the problem with it is you are buying electronics that are bottom-shelf stuff.

Where are you located? If you can, try to stop by Edmonds waterfront on Sunday. We'll be having a competition there. You can learn more in a couple hours there than you can in a couple days worth of posting.

These guys are right - a scale truck will never be very competitive as a competition truck. It can be built to be comp legal, and you can run it, and have fun, but it won't be a contender. It would be like running a streetable truck in the pro class at we-rock.

My advice - The same axles, transmissions, and electronics are common core between scale trucks and comp trucks (for the most part). The chassis, suspension, tires, wheels, body, etc are what seperates. Do what you can within your budget to buy good "core" components. That way you have stuff that will carry over if you decide to change direction down the road.

And the AX10 axles and transmission are a great place to start. If you don't have much RC experience, the kit might be a good idea, so you start with something you know works before you start piecing things together, but that depends on the individual.

T.

Buy one already done. I've found some good deals on used rigs.

Here's my last one I bought for my daughter.
I threw a rooster crawler esc I had laying around in it but thats all I've done and it works great.

$240 shipped
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=458821

I bought this one on ebay for my son
$200
TLT axels,weely king tranny,novak rooster crawler esc,novak 55t motor,hi-tec servo,rc4wd allu.beadlocks,losi claw tires,allu.shocks,& custom frame.

0420_1.JPG

05a6_1.JPG