• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Buildin a full float 9 will this work?

skipnrocks

I am doing the weld on flanges to accept a dana 60 spindle and hub. My question is for aligning the spindles. Can I run a piece of 1.5 in tubing through both spindles to line them up and hold them in place while welding?

I have seen the alignment bars but dont want to spend 400 to put one axle together?

you could and it might work but what you are paying for in an alignment bar is the 'trueness' of the bar

DOM is not true and will bend/deflect over 5 ft

most people that use an alignment bar don't use it as a weld jig or at least your not supposed to but lots do
some have had problems getting them out after welding
heat and cooling in specific spots to true it up - it's an art - I'd like to learn

that being said I had a rear end built once and a shop used all thread - it seemed good enough and has held up

Is there an other way to do it? With a ford 9 third is there a way to get the bar supported? I could also put some 1.25 inside the 1.5 to keep it more rigid?

the spindles will be a snug fit for 35 spline shafts so I think I need it close.

The best or most accurate way is to use an alignment bar. If you don't want to buy one you can get assemble the third and install. Slide the adapters on the housing, assemble the spindle, hubs and shafts.
Tack adapters in place. Pull the shafts and see if they are binding. Make adjustments as needed. Weld it. This route uses the axle shafts to align everything.
I would truss the axle and weld on brackets prior to adding the ends, all the welding makes things move around a lot!

Go to a hydraulics shop and see if they have any 1.5" solid rod laying around. That is where I got the one we use. Its has a tolerance of .005" over its 96" length.

That's a good idea. I wasn't sure if the weight would cause more deflection vs a hollow tube. But sounds like not. I think I'll do that and the. Tack the spindle and then put my shafts in and spin them to make sure they don't rub before I weld them up