• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building a split-tailed trailer

buggyman1

I'm not sure if there's any interest in a trailer build thread or not. It's certainly not up to par with most of the fab work on here, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. I've been a member for some time now, mostly looking, and learning and wanting to build my own rig some day in the future. I don't have the budget to own a $ 40,000.00 rig...wish I did, but sadly this trailer is gonna stress my funds quite a bit, not to mention my talents. With that being said (poorly I admit), here goes.

I'm new to posting on this site, so bare with me. I want a 20' split dove-tailed trailer. I've researched and looked at a lot of them online and this trailer will be the best fit for me out of all that I've seen. I want it strong enough to haul about anything I can throw at it, but still pull it with my truck. I started with 6" channel for the outside frame and 4" channel set at 16" on center for the cross members. I'm welding most of this with a Miller 251 mig welder, but I have stick and tig also if needed. I started out by getting everything somewhat level.

Attachments

• 317 (1024x768).jpg
    317 (1024x768).jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 147
Whew...was worried about posting pic's. Imma learning here. Next I started cutting metal. I have a bandsaw I got from Grizzly that is awesome, love it.

Unless you have got most of the material for free, I bet when you are done, if you keep up with everything you spend, you could have bought one for less! I have built 3 trailers and never came out ahead, plus all the labor it takes. but sometimes I just like doing **** like that.

Unless you just enjoy building trailers it's almost impossible to come out ahead like just zukimaster said. Good lookin home built trailers are neat tho. I built one for my boss a couple months ago. I enjoy taking the good ideas from several different companies and building it all into one. Far from saving money tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The advantage with building a trailer is getting exactly what you want. The most important thing if you are wanting to haul weight is get at least 6 lug axles with 16" wheels. 8 lug axles are better. The 16" wheels are key because 15" tires are much more expensive in high load ratings. With 16" you can run used truck tires cheap.

I have built and bought several trailers over the years be carefull on the weight if you are pulling with a half ton you will find you can build more than you can pull easily IMO

I knew from the start it would be cheaper to just buy one, but after looking at a few I was not all that impressed with what was out there. I wanted it heavy and i'll be pulling it with a 1 ton truck, so I think i'll be ok there. I haven't really been keeping up with the cost (it would prob. scare me) but at some point i'll figure-up what I've got in it. I've got a lot done on it, as soon as I get the time i'll post some more pics.

After trying for 2 hours with no success in posting more pictures, i'm wandering what i'm doing wrong. Hell I've resized them down to almost nothing and I still get the message my file size is too large???

Just use tapatalk or IMG tags from photobucket

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

buggyman1 said:
Hell I've resized them down to almost nothing and I still get the message my file size is too large???

Resizing them (something by something pixels) and reducing the file size are too different things. You can have an image that renders on screen the size of a postage, but is still 28MB.
What are you using to resize
Irfanview is the best freebie out there for reducing the actual file size to aspect...

Barring that, email them to me and I'll take a look...

Caver Dave said:
Resizing them (something by something pixels) and reducing the file size are too different things. You can have an image that renders on screen the size of a postage, but is still 28MB.
What are you using to resize
Irfanview is the best freebie out there for reducing the actual file size to aspect...

Barring that, email them to me and I'll take a look...

The forum size cutoff is 1900 pixels wide and 1300 pixels tall, I enlarged it to this setting last week. If this settings is too big (having to scroll sideways to see all of the pic), then I will lower it back down. I think it was previously 800 x 600.