• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Built D300 vs Atlas

lets not forget about stackin a d300 behind a 231.Both of them stock with an AW4 and 4.88's yeild a respectable crawl ratio.And depending upon application it is just about the same size they say , as the stock 231....

lets not forget about stackin a d300 behind a 231.Both of them stock with an AW4 and 4.88's yeild a respectable crawl ratio.And depending upon application it is just about the same size they say , as the stock 231....

That's fine with a v6, bad idea behind a v8.

Good thing I don't believe in V8's:fawkdancesmiley::haha:cheers

Just pissed off 4 cyl :fawkdancesmiley::haha:

I really think I see a trend here
A D 300 will servive if your rig don't weigh a ton or you have passive driving habits, or little tires

Last edited:
I really think I see a trend here
A D 300 will servive if your rig don't weigh a ton or you have passive driving habits, or little tires
Hmmm, I think you are a bit off here. IMO, vehicle weight, adequite axle gearing, HP/Torque, drivers skill, all come into play here. I have seen more that a few Altas T-cases fail in my day, so the term "everything breaks" always applies. The guys that seem to break them that I have seen have heavier rigs, not enough axle gearing, and driving with the skinny pedal instead of skill. I am one of 3 guys that I know that runs a bone stock 300, 40in tires, under 3500lb rig, 7-17s in the diffs that has put a hard 4+ years on the t-case with no failures. In those years I have wheeled it alot, and have stood on the skinny pedal as much as I have drove the line. Mauler runs the same setup besides he runs a V-8 and 6-17s, I run a V-6 and 7-17s. Again the Altas is obviously the stronger setup, but a properly setup/ built 300 will last a long time given the rig is setup within certain perameters..

Its good to hear from guys running 6.17s and 7.17s with luck. I know the pinion heads get much smaller but it's hard to beat the gearing. What about clearance issues running the 300 behind a v8? What's trans are you two running porter?

Its good to hear from guys running 6.17s and 7.17s with luck. I know the pinion heads get much smaller but it's hard to beat the gearing. What about clearance issues running the 300 behind a v8? What's trans are you two running porter?
The pinions are tiny, but knock on wood here all is well. I know mauler has stress cracked/broken teeth on the 6-17s before, but he has a few more ponies under the hood then I do and he likes the skinny. I run a 98 Vortec 4.3, and a turbo-400. I am very suprised I have not broken any but they have held up very well. In all honesty with the stock gearing in the t-case, and 7-17, 40' tires its perfect gearing for wheeling imo.

Well said Porter! You and Jeff have way more experiance then I do in this. Glad you chimed in.

I think if the OP is planning on putting this tcase behind a 400hp LS motor I think the Atlas might be more of the better choice? But if a stock 4.3 V6 is the power plant I would think the more budget minded 300 is a way better choice. Like I said, lots of factors go into selecting parts for a build.

Well said Porter! You and Jeff have way more experiance then I do in this. Glad you chimed in.

I think if the OP is planning on putting this tcase behind a 400hp LS motor I think the Atlas might be more of the better choice? But if a stock 4.3 V6 is the power plant I would think the more budget minded 300 is a way better choice. Like I said, lots of factors go into selecting parts for a build.
I definately agree with everything you said.:;

Seen this on crawlin,

FOR SALE

1 - Dana 300 t-case with 32spline JB Conversions front out put shaft, Tera Low 32 spline rear outpu shaft, new bearings and seals and stock gears. Case has been completely rebuilt.

1 - JB Conversions Billet input shaft for a TH350 (27 spline)

1 - Dana 300 to TH350 adapter and poly mount.

Want to sell as a package for $750 OBO

Picks to come tonight.

Hmmm, I think you are a bit off here. IMO, vehicle weight, adequite axle gearing, HP/Torque, drivers skill, all come into play here. I have seen more that a few Altas T-cases fail in my day, so the term "everything breaks" always applies. The guys that seem to break them that I have seen have heavier rigs, not enough axle gearing, and driving with the skinny pedal instead of skill. I am one of 3 guys that I know that runs a bone stock 300, 40in tires, under 3500lb rig, 7-17s in the diffs that has put a hard 4+ years on the t-case with no failures. In those years I have wheeled it alot, and have stood on the skinny pedal as much as I have drove the line. Mauler runs the same setup besides he runs a V-8 and 6-17s, I run a V-6 and 7-17s. Again the Altas is obviously the stronger setup, but a properly setup/ built 300 will last a long time given the rig is setup within certain perameters..

I totally agree with what you are saying. I know that the rig needs to work as a unit for it to be sucessfull

thanks for the info and chimimg in

I wish.

TBI "cop car" 350, TH350 is the plan. The kicker is the Klune I plan on planting in-front of it. Only the 2.7:1, wanted the 4:1 for the larger gear spread options but that hasn't happened yet, hence the thought of looking to put the 4:1's in the t-case. Gears have been bouncing between 4.56's (cause I have a set) and 5.38's (cause I had till recently one set). Tires are 40's. All in the same chassis you're running. Thinking with the higher diff gears was that with the 4:1 and 2.7:1 I would have plenty of gearing options for the trails, and the 4.56's would still give me the stronger gearing (and cheaper parts).

But as always, everything is in flux. Hence the questions and web-wheeling to get the best compromises of budget, use and return on investment. Right now actual completion seems so far away that I don't know if there will be any [local] trails by then :haha: :booo:

Seen this on crawlin,

Hmm, good find. Crawlin BC? I've been meaning to join. I don't need some of the adapters, but thats a good deal alone for a case with the 32-spline input I need and HD output.... hmmm.

Last edited:
I wish.

TBI "cop car" 350, TH350 is the plan. The kicker is the Klune I plan on planting in-front of it. Only the 2.7:1, wanted the 4:1 for the larger gear spread options but that hasn't happened yet, hence the thought of looking to put the 4:1's in the t-case. Gears have been bouncing between 4.56's (cause I have a set) and 5.38's (cause I had till recently one set). Tires are 40's. All in the same chassis you're running. Thinking with the higher diff gears was that with the 4:1 and 2.7:1 I would have plenty of gearing options for the trails, and the 4.56's would still give me the stronger gearing (and cheaper parts).

But as always, everything is in flux. Hence the questions and web-wheeling to get the best compromises of budget, use and return on investment. Right now actual completion seems so far away that I don't know if there will be any [local] trails by then :haha: :booo:

Hmm, good find. Crawlin BC? I've been meaning to join. I don't need some of the adapters, but thats a good deal alone for a case with the 32-spline input I need and HD output.... hmmm.
IMO, I would ditch the Klune. Go with a geared T-case . With proper geared axles and T-case its all you need.

I dont have any experiance with a Klune. Have you purchased the Klune yet? Do you own a D300? Most of the time parts we buy are not worth what we paid for them even tho they are still new so be ware of what you buy before you know for sure the rout you want to go.

I could see where it would be nice to have something in between my 4.3:1 low and 1:1 High. With 4.88 gears and a V6 the 1:1 was a little tall. Im not sure how much room the Klune will take up in our small-ish chassis.

I am going thru my rig right now stream lining it for a more point and shoot approach. Burly and simple. The less **** I got on the car the less **** breaks.

What about the 4 speed Atlas? I know its a few $$ but is it worth it? Its burly for sure. :beer:

Last edited: