• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Buying a rig with WA salvage/ rebuilt title?

Turtle Bite

I have been itching for a new project and I have been considering buying a wrecked Dodge and re-building it over the winter. Has anyone been through the state patrol inspection process?

I will likely be buying the rig from Co-part, does anyone have any experience with them? Here are two that look rebuildable (I am not that interested in these two rigs, but good examples of whats out there.)

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e1s1&lotId=18278719

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e2s1&lotId=19254899

My understanding is that the state patrol inspection process is fairly simple. My dad just did it with a mongrel truck that he built out of spare parts (80's 1-ton dually chev frame, 66 Ford truck cab, big block 396 chevy). A lot of the inspection is just to determine if you used hot/stolen parts to rebuild. Of course, I would imagine you also have to have the basic road legal safety equipment as well... headlights, blinkers, wipers, etc.

If I recall right, the officer actually came to my dad's place to do the inspection (for obvious reasons, since the truck couldn't be driven to them). Might make it easier/quicker if you were able to trailer it to them, but that's something to discuss when you schedule the inspection.

Save all your receipts for the parts you use to rebuild, and your original receipt for the rig from Copart and you should be good to go.

Better get exactly what you want, and plan on keeping it for a long time... it won't have fooey for resale value after with a rebuilt title.

As far as Copart goes, they pretty much are selling you the metal that makes up the rig... it is what it is, and you don't get to do much (if any) testing. I bought a cheap XJ from a guy that was on here, can't remember his name... anyway, he bought the rig from Copart as a theft recovery with no interior... turns out the motor was also toast too (had a rod knock). They don't let you start the rigs or test drive them even if they are driveable. He re-installed an interior and did the state patrol inspection, but decided to offload it for what he had into it since he didn't want to mess with doing a motor swap. I swapped in a 4.0 I had sitting around from another rig I had parted out, and drove the shiat out of it before selling it a year later for about a grand more than I paid for it, even with the rebuilt title (it was a nice little rig).

I can ask my dad for more details if you have a specific question.

Last edited:
i ahve. they just make sure the Vins match, either on paper or that all 3 match, all the lights work, and that you have reciepts for all the work and parts installed. i had to do it with my 90 GLI to get it road legal again. got hit a month after buying it and the ins co totaled it.

they didn't even care if my Dad's lights worked when he went through all of that. Just wanted to make sure nothing was stolen (He keeps receipts on everything).

I know several people who have done it and I looked into it in detail for one my rigs.

You have to have receipt for everything. When a vehicle goes to salvage through copart or IAAA they take photos and send them to WSP with detailed info. When they do the inspection they pull the photos and detail to see what was needed to be replaced. This is only done with vehicle purchased from IAAA or Copart. If you bought it back from the insurance directly then they will not have photos on file.

For used parts bought on say CL, you will need a photo copy of the Title and a bill of sale for the part. The VIN number must be listed on the bill of sale and notorized. The WSP will usually place a comment on the title from vehicle that it was removed from.

For Junkyard parts and new parts the invoice is all you need.

Make sure you have all your ducks in a row and call to schedule your appointment. When you call to schedule your appointment you will be leaving a voicemail as the number is not answered. Make sure you leave a clean and clear voicemail or they will not call you back. Last I checked the wait time is around a month or so from when they call you back.

ya dont try to bull **** them i went with a friend and they asked for the recipet to the air bags he said they where never deployed and she had the pics.

ya dont try to bull **** them i went with a friend and they asked for the recipet to the air bags he said they where never deployed and she had the pics.

Sooo, what if your friend just happened to have a set of bags from a parted out rig laying around---maybe some folks already have parts to install on a vehicle bought for repair; what would they say about that? Just curious...

I have no idea i guss have someone write you a reciept.
you can buy reciept books at stapels or print off an invoice

Last edited:
they didn't even care if my Dad's lights worked when he went through all of that. Just wanted to make sure nothing was stolen (He keeps receipts on everything).

May I ask how old the rig was? I am reading some of the RCWs for rigs 6 years old or worth less than 6900, and they dont care about anything but receipts. I am looking at some rigs that are worth 10k or so and dont want to get left with a rig that has 5 months of repair work and has to be crushed.

i ahve. they just make sure the Vins match, either on paper or that all 3 match, all the lights work, and that you have reciepts for all the work and parts installed. i had to do it with my 90 GLI to get it road legal again. got hit a month after buying it and the ins co totaled it.

Thats kind of what I was looking for, if the WSP is reasonable about their inspection.

Matt, I hear what your saying. I do want to keep the rig for a while and I wont be trying to re-sell it. I have a wore out powerstroke that does the job, but after driving 5 and 6 speed cummins I know what I really want. I have looked at buying a new truck and I dont really get excited about the payment or what I get for my money. I see that rigs with rebuilt titles are about 20% off, but come on its a dodge, there not that hard to put back together:flipoff:

What the hell is IAAA? I need to check them out.

IAA is the same idea as copart, they are located in kent/auburn area. They charge $250 a year to be a member to purchase from them.

I have a 94 YJ that was purchased through them and I just gave up on trying to licenses it and just went the route of a ORV tag.

https://www.iaai.com/

I know all state farm vehicles go to them now, they no longer work with Copart. I guess to many issues is what State farm told me.

IAA is the same idea as copart, they are located in kent/auburn area. They charge $250 a year to be a member to purchase from them.

I have a 94 YJ that was purchased through them and I just gave up on trying to licenses it and just went the route of a ORV tag.

https://www.iaai.com/

I know all state farm vehicles go to them now, they no longer work with Copart. I guess to many issues is what State farm told me.

What issues did you have with licensing your YJ? Missing reciept?

I know state farm does still deal with Copart in this area, there are several auctions that are marked as State Farm auctions up right now.

So how do you prove with a receipt if you bought parts from a private seller parting out a vehicle? I know fullywrecked has gone through some of this process. I think your plan is definitely worth it if you plan on keeping the truck for a long while. I have an 08 dodge and now realize(first newer truck, last one was a 96) that the payments and extra comfort stuff is not necessary. I will drive this truck till the wheels fall off, hopefully long after it is payed off. Good luck with your search, I know alot of guys are at those auctions looking for the cheap cummins for a donor motor etc... :awesomework:

And ask around locally... I could have saved ALOT of headache by driving an extra 30 minutes to the next patrol station down the highway... Later finding out that they are WAY easier, and less stringent...

I may be wrong...but I think once a vehicle has been totaled, even if it is rebuilt thoughly and correctly...The title will allways show it was a totaled vehicle and can make selling it a real pain, I for one would never buy a vehicle with a totaled/rebuilt title....

I hope I am wrong...

I may be wrong...but I think once a vehicle has been totaled, even if it is rebuilt thoughly and correctly...The title will allways show it was a totaled vehicle and can make selling it a real pain, I for one would never buy a vehicle with a totaled/rebuilt title....

I hope I am wrong...

What about a trail rig?

My wheeler has a salvage/rebuilt title(no more night runs) and I didn't really think it would matter to a buyer as it is heavily modified and most buyers would know what they are looking at and not care all that much.

I do have documentation that shows I mearly swaped a new axel under a swaped taco.

Last edited:

I hope I am wrong...

This is true. There will be a mark on the title, and a State Patrol Inspection sticker in the drivers door jamb.

I bought a little 89 Nissan as a DD that had a salvage title from Oregon. Didn't really have to fix alot but the guy at WSP off HWY512 didn't even really look at much or ask for any receipts. It was alot easier than the nightmare most people portray it to be.

Im wondering about this, friend of a friend reended a lady and got a deewee in the process, insurance totaled the truck cause its alittle older but its just headlights bumper etc on the front end. I want the truck for my DD one cause its exactly what I want and two because it'll be cheap. Whats the process Ill have to go through?