• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bypass reservoir relocate

collinmaune

On the new build I have bypasses front and rear after panhandling on the local corners but apparently I wasn't good enough to by remote reservoirs. After looking at them I was thinking I could make my own remote kit out of hydraulic hose fittings has anyone done this? and if so whats the best way to go about taking them apart and building the hoses.

Re: Bypass reservoir relocate

Interested in this. I have emulsion coilovers and have spoke with people about converting them to remote resis and it doesn't look worth will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to try to start tearing my down tonight and making a hose for them I am also thinking about putting a flow control valve on the hose as well to see if that will allow for more tuning in the shock, I have a few of them laying around the shop that have never been used. I'll try to post pics tonight or tomorrow they bypasses are King 2.5x16 3 tube just a little back ground on them

If you have the reservoirs and the appropriated fittings, a hose is just a hose, that shouldn't be an issue.

That's what I was thinking as well it's just a hose. As far as the Flow controls I have quite a few of them in the shop so I might put a set on and never mess with them, but I think for fine adjustment it could work great then again I'm no shock expert

Having the remote reservoir hose come off the bottom of the shock body is better than the top cap.

Can replace top cap with the remote resi unit and add hose, reservoir and Separator piston.

Flow control on the hose could have similar effects to a rate plate, can be good or bad.

If you want that just buy the fox dsc reservoir and add to the bypass, but honestly not sure it's entirely necessary on a bypass.

Do your bypasses have an IFP or are they emulsion? If IFP you will need to remove that from the body.

mac5005 said:
Having the remote reservoir hose come off the bottom of the shock body is better than the top cap.

Could you elaborate on why ?

Thanks

Why would you want to add a flow control at the resi on a bypass? It should already have 3 or more on it now. The coilover paired with it could add a resi for more cooling if you are overheating them but coilcarriers usually have little or no valving in them.
A new top cap may be needed, the port for the N2 fitting is too small for a resi hose.

What kind of shocks do you have. I have made a couple of bypasses remote res by adding in the right hose fittings. It is honestly really easy. You tube how to re build a by pass shock and that will tell you how to break the shock down and put it back together.

Woodlee said:
What kind of shocks do you have. I have made a couple of bypasses remote res by adding in the right hose fittings. It is honestly really easy. You tube how to re build a by pass shock and that will tell you how to break the shock down and put it back together.
Damn Woodlee and robbybobby have posted in less than a week. Is the world supposed to be ending soon?

pplblazerdude said:
Interested in this. I have emulsion coilovers and have spoke with people about converting them to remote resis and it doesn't look worth will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's not enough meat on the end cap of fox emulsion shocks to drill and tap for a big enough fitting for the hose, not sure about other brands? For the cost of parts to convert you'd be better off to sell your emulsions and by remote res. :****:

Bebop said:
Could you elaborate on why ?

Thanks

It helps the last portion of travel in bump act as a bumpstop in a bypass.

Also helps to prevent plunging the ifp during compression and prevents the hose/fitting orfice size from acting as a rate plate during compression. Better to have it on rebound side where the forces are low enough none of that is an issue.

mac5005 said:
It helps the last portion of travel in bump act as a bumpstop in a bypass.

Also helps to prevent plunging the ifp during compression and prevents the hose/fitting orfice size from acting as a rate plate during compression. Better to have it on rebound side where the forces are low enough none of that is an issue.
I have 0 experience with bypass shocks but it seems like your over thinking this. I have no idea and have been wrong before but can't you tune the bypasses to where you don't have to add a bandaid in the equation?

collinmaune said:
On the new build I have bypasses front and rear after panhandling on the local corners but apparently I wasn't good enough to by remote reservoirs. After looking at them I was thinking I could make my own remote kit out of hydraulic hose fittings has anyone done this? and if so whats the best way to go about taking them apart and building the hoses.

Are you going to be racing or trail riding?

Even if rock bouncing, I doubt you have a long enough run to notice considerable fade and cooking the oil to need reservoirs on the bypasses. The same is true for the coil carriers.

The coilovers valving should be low and only sets the valving during the center of the bypass travel. This is why most people run no valving in the coil carrier to start with and only add it if necessary once the bypass is tuned.

If you are just trail riding, I doubt you would ever actually need the benefit of the remote reservoirs on the bypasses.

Emulsion shocks under hard use (racing) offer less consistent valving than reservoir shocks with an ifp. Under extreme events the emulsion of oil and n2 can erode the piston surfaces in the ports, but if not ultra4 type stuff, I doubt that would ever happen.

I€™m not entire convinced it would even happen rockbouncing, where the runs aren€™t long enough to get the shocks oil over temp. I€™m not argueing that reservoir shocks aren€™t better, just pointing out that you may never notice the difference based on intended usage.

I€™d just run and tune and tune and tune what you have and see how it works.

Just to clarify for the thread, the coilovers are speed sensitive and the bypasses are position sensitive. This is what allows their use to tune in two completely different ways to achieve the same goal.

RustyC said:
Why would you want to add a flow control at the resi on a bypass? It should already have 3 or more on it now. The coilover paired with it could add a resi for more cooling if you are overheating them but coilcarriers usually have little or no valving in them.
A new top cap may be needed, the port for the N2 fitting is too small for a resi hose.

95% of your valving is in the bypasses thats where your heat is at, thats where you need your reservoirs. I honestly have never seen bypasses without a res., didn't know they made them that way. Unless your doing endurance racing you'll prob never need them anyway...

I fully agree on the need for a resi on a bypass. But confused by the need for a flow control at the resi.
Learning how having a resi effects the floating piston moving towards bump in the bypass make perfect sense.
I added flow controls at the resi on my coilovers. I makes a very noticeable difference. I actually need to lighten up my valving shocks to be able to use the adjustability.
(http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=54795.0)

photobucket still blows :****:

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about shocks and bypasses in general. My thought process on the flow control is if you have to fast of rebound and compression adjusting a flow control valve to the reservoir would slow down both or speed up both at the same time by the amount of Oil going through the shim stack but it more then likely is my brain not grasping the full concept . If that makes sense.