• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Car Stereo Stuff Question

mark

So I know squat about Car Stereo stuff, never got into it as a teen even though I knew tons of friends that were.

The driver's side door speaker in my Silverado has gone out again. Just over a year on a "GM" replacement from Amazon. Turns out the rear driver's side is out as well and pretty sure the front door tweeter has been out for a long time as well. Rather than another $25 replacement, plus $40-something for the rear plus whatever the tweeter is etc, I think I'm going to go aftermarket. Amazon is full of "good deals" but I'm looking at at Rockford Fosgate 3-way for the front and possibly the rear. Reviews are good and sounds like they may go 1/2 off around Black Friday. A company called "Harmony" also has a 4-speaker package for around the some $ with good sound quality reviews (but I have to pick the kit carefully as the 'silverado' kit has the wrong rear speakers).

Ok, enough pre-ramble, question(s):

1) The factory front speakers are a 6" and Tweeter combo. So if I go with a 3-way main speaker and eliminate the tweeter do I have to modify the wiring at all? Looks like a Gray and Brown 2-wire to the main speaker, and a similar looking Gray/Brown to the tweeter. Do I just leave the old tweeter wires to dangle and assume the 2-wire feeding the new 3-way will take car of everything?

2) The factory rear speaker is a 8-ohm, the replacement front speaker was a 4-ohm, other than that the two speakers truly look identical other than the front speaker has some special clips to hold it in and the connectors are 90-degrees from each other. I'd have to tear the passenger side apart to see if the original factory front speaker was a 8-ohm or 4-ohm. Little internet research goes from the ohms don't mater to you'll blow up your amp. I'm using the factory GM head-unit (nothing special). The replacement aftermarket speakers seem to be all 4-ohm units. Do I have to worry about anything? I don't think I've every really cranked it up past middle volume, not because I don't want to, but its always been loud enough and the speakers can't handle much beyond that (sounds quality drops fast)

So to make all that shorter, am I pretty safe putting just about any aftermarket, 2/3-way speaker in or do I need to be more picky? Only other thought would be if there was any reason not to put the same speaker in all 4 doors and be done. I just want complete sounds back, and for more than a year.

There could be a crossover somewhere in the system and you won't get full range out of your new speaker. I buy from Crutchfield because they know exactly what goes in each spot and will include any adapters needed for your vehicle.

There could be a crossover somewhere in the system and you won't get full range out of your new speaker. I buy from Crutchfield because they know exactly what goes in each spot and will include any adapters needed for your vehicle.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that relies on crutchfield!!

On your front speakers, the way I recall GM doing it you have full range sound going to your main 6" speaker, then a crossover on the 6" speaker that sends the highs to your tweeter. You could just leave the stock tweeter in un hooked without any issues.

On the Ohm difference, as I understand it, having a 4ohm in front and 8ohm in rear will cause one of the sets of speakers to sound louder than the other. I think the lower ohm will sound louder at the same volume.

In my 05 Sierra I just put in 4 6" 2-way's that were on sale. :D

On the Ohm difference, as I understand it, having a 4ohm in front and 8ohm in rear will cause one of the sets of speakers to sound louder than the other. I think the lower ohm will sound louder at the same volume.

No, it's not that simple.

Most OEM separates (at least all I've ever ripped out and thrown away) the crossover is built into the midrange speaker, so you'd just unhook it and leave it if you're installing a coaxial.

Everything I can find on the web for GM stuff with those 8 ohm speakers is that they'll run a 4 ohm without an issue. 8 ohm stuff is usually home theater/hi-fi speakers, pretty rare in an an automotive application.

I don't have any experience with Harmony brand speakers but I've run lots of Rockford stuff without issue, they've been around forever for a reason. If all you want is all the door speakers that work their Prime series will work just fine.

Last edited:
Coincidentally I just ordered a set of Rockford Fosgate R165X3's. There "Prime" series. Should be here tomorrow and I'll try them out. If I like them, I'll get another set and replace all 4.

I'm kind of excited to have a complete set of working speakers in the truck again.

$40 and free, next day, 8am shipping. Damn Amazon is evil.

I just installed 4 of the "PRIME" Rockford 6.5" 3-ways in my younger kids Subaru.

They are a lower wattage speaker that is great for the price to replace stock stuff.

Latest posts