• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Carb Question

Pipeliner

I searched and I got so many results it's hard to read them all. So, I wanted to ask the Chevy pros. I have a S-10 cab truck that has a bad motor. The original engine and fuel injection is gone. I have bought a stock 350 (used). I want to go ahead and install it and run a carb for a little while until I go efi. I am looking for options on a intake and carb. I'm running a Th400, low max 205 and tons with 5.13 and 42's or 44's (unsure on tire size). Thanks in advance

Are you looking to spend "real" money on a new carb? Or just get a junkyard carb to get you by for a few rides?

Imo any money/effort spent on a carb is money that could be put toward one of the bolt on aftermarket efi setups that would support pretty much any normal engine or mods you may do.

Or get a propane setup.

You can normally find a propane setup for what you'll spend on a new carb. And it'll be able to re-sell.

But if the engine is new, you'll need to break it in with gas, not propane.

Are you looking to spend "real" money on a new carb? Or just get a junkyard carb to get you by for a few rides?

Imo any money/effort spent on a carb is money that could be put toward one of the bolt on aftermarket efi setups that would support pretty much any normal engine or mods you may do.

Or get a propane setup.
Yea, I have several carbs and intakes I could use. I really don't have room for propane tanks. I was just looking for opinions or what people may have had experience with.

Carbs just can't handle bouncing around and steep hills, it will be constantly flooding, so unless your just dirt road riding, go propane or efi and just be done with it.

Yea, I have several carbs and intakes I could use. I really don't have room for propane tanks. I was just looking for opinions or what people may have had experience with.
What carburetors do you have, Q-jet, Holley, etc. And what's your intention.

What carburetors do you have, Q-jet, Holley, etc. And what's your intention.
I have several q-jets and a few motorcraft 2150's. I also have a few spread bore intakes. My intention? Really depends on how it turns out I guess. I've been out of the off road world for a while. I am eventually gonna take this truck apart and put it all under a buggy. But, I wanted to drop a motor in it and make it rideable until I get ready to strip it. That's why I wanna do this on budget as I am unsure what engine I will run in my buggy. More that likely a 5.3 or 6.0, really depends on what I find and how much money I have when I find it. Lol

Carbs just can't handle bouncing around and steep hills, it will be constantly flooding, so unless your just dirt road riding, go propane or efi and just be done with it.

I have a buddy that has a 406 in his Jeep and runs a quad backwards and it never cuts out . Makes plenty of power. We ride the same trails and they are not dirt roads . If you are set in running a carb u need to find someone that can build and tune it properly.

Hard to beat a 2150 with a properly adjusted float and a fuel pressure reg turned down low.

Wont have the big top end at WOT like a q jet, but it'll basically run upside down.
Been riding for years with a buddy and his 460 Bronco with a 2150, burns oil in the intake before it stumbles. Great option.

Why gas?
forklifts that run on propane don't get broken in with gasoline? not saying your wrong, I'm just curious.

According to GotPropane, the rings won't seat correctly when breaking in on propane. I would think oil would matter much more than fuel, but I do know there is much more carbon in gas. Maybe the break-in process in just different for propane.

Thanks for all the replies and input. I have both carbs in my shop. So, I'll give them a try until I go full efi. Thanks

You can't tell Big Tim Bacon that. He ran a big block and a carb forever till momma Angie let him pony up for some EFI stuff.