• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CB issues

Ice

So I installed my CB last night, I didn't have a antenna mount like I wanted. I ended up drilling a hole through the fender and using a post mount. The problem is, I know nothing about using a CB, and I can't pick up anything. No transmissions. Even on 9. What did I do wrong?:mad:

That was slightly less than helpful.:eeek: I will get pics as soon as possible. I'm working so it might take a bit. I do know the CB is a cobra 29 Ltd Bluetooth. And the antenna is not a firestick but a 4 ft radioshack antenna. Not a whip. The cable is 12 ft rg-58 BNC cable that has about 3 ft coiled up (too long) I was told this wouldnt be an issue. But then again it was radioshack. Should have known better

That was slightly less than helpful.:eeek: I will get pics as soon as possible. I'm working so it might take a bit. I do know the CB is a cobra 29 Ltd Bluetooth. And the antenna is not a firestick but a 4 ft radioshack antenna. Not a whip. The cable is 12 ft rg-58 BNC cable that has about 3 ft coiled up (too long) I was told this wouldnt be an issue. But then again it was radioshack. Should have known better

There's part of your problem.

Is the post insulated from the metal on the fender (they usually come with little plastic insulating rings)??? the extra coiled up coax shouldn't be a problem, as mine is also coiled up under the dash, and I get out/receive just fine (SWR'd at 1.1-1.2)...I'm able to reach from the play area at Walker down to the main parking lot on a good day...no problem anytime from the top of upper main line at the landing...

I do have the insulating ring on the antenna mount. I may just have to get a buddy to definate transmit to dial it in

As said above, look up install instructions, and follow from the beginning. You must have missed one small step.

And the coiled coax is not a problem. Im running an 18 foot cable, about 12 feet of it is coiled and stuffed behind my glove box. I can see it being a problem if i was trying to talk to people 10 miles away, but it works fine for the trail.

FWIW I was a radio tech(not operator) in the Army later to become a comm sgt on a team. The more RF cable you have the less power you are pumping out. I don't remember the actual equation but I think it's 1 watt loss per 1 foot of cable non-tuned. Second having the cable wadded up DOES affect the peak performance of the signal strength. Ideal would be a piece just long enough for the CB to antenna. Then fine tune it with a SRW meter. Get a Firestick because they are tune-able.

FWIW I was a radio tech(not operator) in the Army later to become a comm sgt on a team. The more RF cable you have the less power you are pumping out. I don't remember the actual equation but I think it's 1 watt loss per 1 foot of cable non-tuned. Second having the cable wadded up DOES affect the peak performance of the signal strength. Ideal would be a piece just long enough for the CB to antenna. Then fine tune it with a SRW meter. Get a Firestick because they are tune-able.

I thought it was also better, that if you do have too much cable, you don't coil it but more like wad it. Or is that a wives tale.

I thought it was also better, that if you do have too much cable, you don't coil it but more like wad it. Or is that a wives tale.

You get RF interfearence when you have it wadded up or coiled up.

But this guy has something else going on if he's getting nothing.

have you tried using your radio with a buddy close to you to find out for sure your no receiving or transmitting. or are you in the driveway hoping to hear something on 17 or 9?

sorry guys. Problem has been fixed.Radio works great, But I will be doing a whip setup on top of the roof. thanks for all your input