• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

chainsaws

greenie

i didnt search much so sorry if it's been covered.
i know sthil is the best but not really sure why. i saw husquavarna saws at lowe's last time i was there and they looked purdy decent.
i think about 18" will do me, as i need to cut firewood, yet be able to pack the thing around for wheeling too.
my plan is to stop at the local stihl dealer and price them, and then go down to lowe's as i will be down there tomorrow for a birthay party, and i am guessing i will come home with a husky unless the stihl is real close in price. thoughts?

found this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rztm0HM9XzE
:beer:

Its arguable wether huskys or stihls are best. I prefer a stihl mostly cause its what I know + you can get stihl parts in any podunk town. Lowes saws are gonna be cheap home owner / occasional use saws, not compairable to some of the better saws you'll find at a dealer. Figure you budget then buy accordingly. A mid grade stihl will last a long time with occasional use, same for the huskys. Use good mix oil. Always fill the bar oil. Learn how to sharpen a chain with a file. And for gods sake always use chaps.

Stihl:awesomework:

I use an 029, its a bit big for a truck saw, but I know it will cut through most of what I encounter.

I have a stihl 390, and owned 029 and 031 all with 20 inch bars. All worked great for camping, light firewood cutting. I like the 390, just a little more power is nice. Couldn't tell the difference between the 029 and 031. Forget the safety chain and get the chisle point, cuts way better. My trail saw is a little 017 or 019 and it works good for that. I've never used a husky so no comment. I like stihls because they start everytime, easy to work on (not that they really break much) and they last.

I use a stihl 440 magnum with a 28" bar...

haven't found anything yet that gives this saw any trouble...

I have had it and used it regularly for about 7 years...

still starts on the second or third pull and I have cut over 200 cords of wood with it..

i have had other brands, like husky over the years and but none have held up like the stihls...

oh... and my saw fits nicely in the back of my CJ5 when I decide to take it along...

:awesomework:

I own 4 saws, ALL of them Stihls...a tiny lil 016 handed down by my dad who bought it new when I was 5,an 024AV trail saw, an 034AV wood saw, and an 034-old as dirt, but powerful as all get out....all run, and cut well...

IM a cheap fawler and these other guys have run the price of Stihl saws thru the roof.

I have two Huskys.

They work great. I have a 66 with a 20 inch bar and a 41 with a 14 inch bar.

I bought the big one for $50 7 years ago and it works great.

The smaller one I bought last month at a garage sale for $20 and it was missing the bar. $30 for a bar and 2 chains at walmart. $50 total.

Dont buy a new saw.

Lots fo people have a few nice saws and are broke and selling off extra tools cheap right now.

Theres nothing wrong with a nice echo or homelite or craftman saw also.

Look here.http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/tls?query=chainsaw&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

Husky is as cheap as you wanna go. I cut timber for a bit and still do tree service sometimes.... Hot rod 066 is what I use. I am a big guy though. Buy a used 028 or 029 stihl, get it tuned up at the saw shop (clean and adjustment) and you will be golden:awesomework:

I have also owned two homelites and they worked fine for little stuff but they couldn't keep up with the stihls in performance or reliability. If money is a issue buy a used 290 like like mallcrawler says. (you'll see some type 029 and others type 290, the newer saws now have the trailing zero.)

Go hit the pawns, as they usually have quite a selection---I know B'ham Pawn has a few on the shelf at the moment....

thanks for the input. just sittin 'round here waitin for the ol lady to get ready and researchin a little.
gave yakima craig's a scroll through, called on one stihl, wont work out.
looked through the classifieds for any in the garage sale section, nothin.
I know good deals are out there i just never find them when im ready to buy.
I want to cut some wood tomorrow, so i'll hit the pawns down there (thanks for the suggestion) before i hit the superstores.
I see home depot has Echo. That is one brand i am a little partial to as I had one of those before and it always ran great, even with old watery gas:redneck:.
research shows that stihl and husky are the only "real" brands, so we'll see what happens...
wish me luck:beer:

It depends where you are, I lived on the east side (north of Spokane) in my younger years and every logger I knew, including myself, used a husky, guys that brought a stihl onto the landing were scoughed at, when I moved to the wet side, everyone used Stihls, they are both great saws, I currently use a Stihl :awesomework:

well the first pawn shop i hit had this saw which seemed like a fair price to me since i was prepared to spend twice as much.

DSCN2171.jpg

DSCN2167.jpg

the way she runs, i could not be happier.
I will probably google it, but if anyone knows what year these were made and some details, im all ears. it's an 031AV "electronic". :beer: