• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

change it or not

gamjunior

Ok, so I have been driving the Jeep more often now, like to work and around town, and I have noticed that after a while of driving the steering gets stiffer, not bad, and the cooler that I'm running is VERY hot. I'm running Royal Purple so should I change to something else or should I look for a new cooler? I have found the one that PSC sells at Summit for alot cheaper. So whats your thoughts on this??

gam

heres the cooler I'm running now...
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/der13253-derale-12-heat-sink-cooler-kit-p-638.html

heres the one I'm thinking of changing too....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13720/?image=large

It could be more than just your oil getting hot causing the problem. What ype of system do you have? Hydro Assist, Full Hydro or Stock? With that said you could have pump failure or cavitation within the pump from the lack of oil getting back to the pump. What style pump is it? Remote Reservoir?

Either way the electric fan would be the best in cooling a system. But don't know if that will fix your issues at hand.

Problem with the tranny style coolers is they restrict flow a good bit because the tubes are small. Check out the in line cooler from Howe. It is a straight through design with no neck down and it is -8 all the way through. Put it in some air flow if you drive on the street and it should be good. The Amsoil tractor Hydro fluid is great, but I think you should be fine with royal purple as it is now

Sorry about that I guess I should have gave more info. I have a full hydro set up from PSC, remote reservoir, and upgraded TC pump. I have already had to replace the pump when we were at River Rock but Kelvin said it was due to a bad seal in the pump. I don't think I have a problem with cavitation due to the fluid is not all bubbly in the reservoir. It still works fine just seems like it gets stiffer slightly when it gets hot.
Here are some pics of the set up to help out.....
DSC02033.jpg

I am running the derale cooler on my TJ, and I had one on my last 2 buggies.. Very pleased with it
100_2810.jpg

I like the electric setup and that is what I am going with myself. what cylinder are you running? Double Ended from PSC? Reason I ask is sometimes the insides can come unscrewed. Take a crescent wrench on each end of the cylinder shafts and tighten it up. I was told by Lance at PSC that this will cause some funny steering, kinda like you lose it a little. Something about when it gets loose the seals will bypass some.

Well that is the same one I had. But very well could be something else. Just throwing the ideas out there that I have ran into before. Let us know what you find out.