• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Charging a li-po

Bunk1

That nice azzhole
So i have a Dynamite vision peak ultra charger that does li-po's, And a 1900mah 7.4 2 cell li-po battery. With my regular ni-mh batteries(1100mah 7.2) i charge em at the 1 amp setting...Is that kosher with the li-po or should i up the amperage?

I also have to swap a deans plug on the battery, Being a total newb to the li-po scene...is there anything to be worried about?? Ive seen some gnarly vids of li-po's blowing up and want to avoid being in one of em. I do plan on getting one of those transport bags.

Thanks in advance..

You can charge a lipo up to 1C. What that boils down to is with a 1900mAh battery you can go to 1.9 amps and that's it.

examples:
1320mAh = 1.3 amps
1500mAh = 1.5 amps
2200mAh = 2.2 amps
3200mAh = 3.2 amps

When you put the deans plug on, make damn sure you do not cross the wires and let them touch. The battery won't explode instantly, but it could start to swell up, that's when you have to worry about the battery popping.

If you do touch the wires, just put the battery in a fire proof container for about 30 minutes and check it to see if it swells up.

thats not a balance charger. it will charge lipos but it is recomended to use a balance charger at least every 5 to 10 charges. I have the same charger and use about 4 different 4200lipos in my rigs. I use the peak charger sometimes to speed up the charge if in a hurry, but I mostly use a cheap 10to20 dollar Eflite helicopter charger most of the time.

your lipo has two cells insted of the 6 you had before. if either of the two cells get more than a tenth or two of a volt difference=presto flaming/exploding battery results.

ever notice you crodless drill and cell phone have multiple terminals to charge them? kinda weird huh? those three terminals on a drill or cell phone charger are 1 negitive and two positives (one for each cell). they charge each cell at the same rete and keep tham at the same voltage.

also make sure you speed control has a lipo cuttoff. if you run them below 6 volts (2c) you will get an angry lipo.

if you think this is a bunch of paranoid BS (I thougt so too) then just youtube search = "LIPO FIRE" tons of clips will come up. see for your self why theese batteries need RESPECT:awesomework: .

dont let me steer you away. follow the rules and you will never run a nicd/nimh ever again.:cool:

if either of the two cells get more than a tenth or two of a volt difference=presto flaming/exploding battery results

thats total BS... a lipo will not blow up just because it is charged unequally...
the only reason it will blow is if it is charged wrong (wrong voltage or amp rating) or is shorted out...

if your using lipo's on a crawler, you don't have to worry about having a balance to much , a crawler draws it's power from the battery at a slower rate then off road trucks or buggy. Trucks and buggys use a high amp draw for most of the time your driving, were a crawler might take a high amp draw just when you it bound up. its when the battery sees high amp draws that it starts to have uneven charges between cells thats why racers have balancers.

I've been running 3s lipos on my crawler since i got it almost a year ago and i run a battery a day thru it practicing... and have never balanced them...:awesomework: now the 2s 3200 batterys i have i do balance because they see alot of wide open throttle driving

think you need to read up alittle more on lipo's.

Ive seen one too many li-po video..thats why i asked the question..I dont want to burn anything down.

The battery is going into a losi mini-t with a mamba system, It has the cut-off voltage and all that. Do i really need a balanced charger?

The gearing and motor im running will net me 68mph.:D

thats total BS... a lipo will not blow up just because it is charged unequally...
the only reason it will blow is if it is charged wrong (wrong voltage or amp rating) or is shorted out...

if your using lipo's on a crawler, you don't have to worry about having a balance to much , a crawler draws it's power from the battery at a slower rate then off road trucks or buggy. Trucks and buggys use a high amp draw for most of the time your driving, were a crawler might take a high amp draw just when you it bound up. its when the battery sees high amp draws that it starts to have uneven charges between cells thats why racers have balancers.

I've been running 3s lipos on my crawler since i got it almost a year ago and i run a battery a day thru it practicing... and have never balanced them...:awesomework: now the 2s 3200 batterys i have i do balance because they see alot of wide open throttle driving

think you need to read up alittle more on lipo's.

Right on, Ill just keep using my 10 dollar balance charger. makes me feel better. :;

Right on, Ill just keep using my 10 dollar balance charger. makes me feel better. :;
The problem with not balancing though if your esc voltage cutoff is say 9 volts and one cell hits 3 volts while the other two are at 3.7 the cutoff won't work before the cell is trashed. More than likely they won't get out of balance that bad but I wouldn't want to take the chance with an expensive battery